Deferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baseball2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the chances are that most schools will let you defer your acceptance a year? We just found out that my spouse needs to complete an extra semester which will not allow us to move in time for the beginning of the next year's class. Does anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any programs that allow you to defer.

I believe I've seen a couple of people on here whose schools allowed them to defer. I don't remember the circumstances, but they were significant for sure. I don't know that a spouse needing to complete her schooling would be serious enough of a circumstance. However, it obviously doesn't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback. I'm pretty bummed about the situation of course, but I guess all I can do is hope for a school potentially allowing it so I don't have to reapply.

I highly recommend you consider your options for living apart for a semester. In my class, there were numerous couples who had to live separately for 6 months up to all 3 years of schooling. Many found a cheap roommate and reconnected when they could. I'm not sure your reason would sway the school to allow for deferral....general, they are medical situations or big family situations (i.e. death in the family). You will likely have to live apart while you complete clinical rotations anyway....so if I were your school, I would be worried about your ability to live apart to complete clinicals in the future.

Reactions: 1 users