Deferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CC128

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had success deferring an acceptance from any of these schools:

Vanderbilt
Baylor
Duke
Northwestern
UCLA
USC

What did you do during your year off, and how did you go about requesting the deferral? I've been accepted at a few places but I really want to defer...any insight on your experiences with this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

any thoughts? not just specifically about these schools, just deferring in general....also, how does financial aid work with deferrals? will i need to fill out fafsa now, and then again next year if i defer, or will my financial aid package be held for next year?

Hello, I didn't defer, but I have 2 friends that did. One got taught English for a year in Taiwan, and the other worked for some business in San Fran (she had an econ degree). Neither of them filled out FAFSA's until the year right before going back. Double check with the school's financial aid office though. In any case, most schools will give deferrals. If you need a year off, most schools won't push you as they know you'll drop out if you're heart isn't into it. I originally deferred, but canceled the deferrment after acceptance into a summer only program abroad that overlapped with a year long job. Since I wanted that summer only program much more, I asked the school, and they were cool with having me join the incoming class with no problems. In any case, I know a few other friends who worked jobs to get some experience in the world and to save some cash in business firms, law offices, politics, abroad, etc. Enjoy your time off, and don't think about studying for med school. Good luck.

sscooterguy