deferrment=commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does deferring admission to a school mean that you are committing to that school the following year? (or are you just deferrring your decision?)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, you can only defer from a school once you have been accepted there. Then you agree to take a year off and then come back to enter as a student there the following year. I also noticed that approval is needed for what you plan on doing in that year off. A friend of mine is in the process of doing that, and she has not found it to be too difficult.

so are you saying that your reason has to be approved by the school or they won't let you? can you defer because you just decided you want a year off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is different with regard to their deferral policy. Most schools want you to have a significant reason to postpone (research opportunity, public health internship, peace corps, americorps, death in the family, family illness or hardship, etc.) If you don't have a reason to defer, they are much less likely to hold a spot for you.

The origional question was about whether it is a binding contract, and think for all intents and purposes it is. You could obviously drop it to pursue another field or whatever, just like you can drop out of med school at anytime. But I think you are asking about the situation where you defer at a lower ranked school on your list to reapply to better schools, all the while holding onto that low ranked defferal. I'm pretty sure on the AMCAS you have to write somewhere if you've ever been admitted to med school. I've heard it is looked upon very poorly if someone has rejected an acceptance to med school and now is trying agian. Questions you will be asked include: why did you apply there in the first place? do you really have a committment to medicine, or only one to prestige?

All of this would make it difficult, but I do not think it is illegal. I don't think that a deferral is a binding contract saying that you cannot go to any other school. I am NOT sure about this point, that's just my impression of the situation. I hope you can find someone who knows for sure, also there's a chance that it varies from school to school. An anonymous phone call to the school of interest admissions office would be a good idea.

Well, at least with the school I approached it with, they said you have to apply through their school through AMCAS early decision for next year (are guaranteed a spot). I guess it would be pretty hard to fudge that, since it would be on your AMCAS record permanently.