You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
degree of unsaturation
Started by aliss4
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Can somebody tell me why C5H5N has 4 degree of unsaturation?
thanks
4 degrees of unsaturation means it can have any combination of double bonds or rings, but has to add up to 4. in this molecule, it has 3 double bonds and 1 ring, so 3 + 1 = 4 degrees of unsaturation
Can somebody tell me why C5H5N has 4 degree of unsaturation?
thanks
formula is 1 + the # of carbons = 6
subtracted half the number of hydrogens
and + .5 for nitrogen
6-2.5= 3.5 + .5 = 4
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why do you add N but subtract halogens?
you count halogens as a hydrogen because halogen's can only form 1 bond like hydrogens.
Highhopee, how are you getting the formula "base formula with N = C5H13N (2)"?
I know you can C5H12 from Cn Hn+2 and based on this I am using this formula and subtracting it from C5H5N means 12 from the alkane formula subtract it from 5H and 1N
12 - 6 = 6 / 2 = 3 degree of unsaturation. I know the answer is wrong and I understand using C2H13N would give me the correct answer but where is this formula coming from because
alkane = Cn Hn+2
alkene = Cn Hn
alkyne = Cn Hn-2
I know you can C5H12 from Cn Hn+2 and based on this I am using this formula and subtracting it from C5H5N means 12 from the alkane formula subtract it from 5H and 1N
12 - 6 = 6 / 2 = 3 degree of unsaturation. I know the answer is wrong and I understand using C2H13N would give me the correct answer but where is this formula coming from because
alkane = Cn Hn+2
alkene = Cn Hn
alkyne = Cn Hn-2
Highhopee, how are you getting the formula "base formula with N = C5H13N (2)"?
I know you can C5H12 from Cn Hn+2 and based on this I am using this formula and subtracting it from C5H5N means 12 from the alkane formula subtract it from 5H and 1N
12 - 6 = 6 / 2 = 3 degree of unsaturation. I know the answer is wrong and I understand using C2H13N would give me the correct answer but where is this formula coming from because
alkane = Cn Hn+2
alkene = Cn Hn
alkyne = Cn Hn-2
Hey Ibraiz
I'll show you step by step,
To find Unsaturation for C5H5N,
First find the base formula, meaning find the molecular formula
that is an alkane with C = 5 and associated amount of Hydrogens.
This is easy to find because you know that the ends will have 3 hydrogens and the middle methylenes have 2 hydrogens.
So it is (2x3H) + (3x2H) = 12H
Thus, we have C5H12
Now, find the base formula with 1 Nitrogen.
For group V (N, P, As, Sb, Bi), add 1H to your base formula because
if we have CH and attach N, we get CNH2
We went from 1H to 2H, meaning we add 1 H.
For group VI (O, S, Se, Te),
we don't add nor subtract Hydrogens because
if we have CH and add O, we get COH
There is no change in # of hydrogens.
For group VII (F, Cl, Br, I),
we subtract 1H because
if we add these atoms, we go from CH to CF
There is a change in number of hydrogens from 1H to 0.
So our base formula was C5H12.
Add 1N. Thus we now have C5H13N
Subtract the # of hydrogens that we get with N (C5H13N)
to the # of hydrogens that was asked (C5H5N)
13 - 5 = 8
Now, divide 8 by 2.
Voila, our degree of unsaturation is 4! =)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 308
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 355
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K