Degree Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkain08

jkain
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school states that they require a Bachelor's Degree, do they mean that you must have a Bachelor's Degree before they will even accept you, or is it alright as long as you obtain your degree before you enter?

I'm applying this August, which will be the start of my senior year in undergrad and plan on graduating in May 2012, and then start Optometry School August 2012. Is it okay to apply to schools that say they require a degree this August before I actually graduate, just as long as I have my degree before I start? Will they still consider me or just toss my application to the side if I don't have a degree when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

You need a bachelors degree when you start school there. You do need one to apply or be accepted.

You need a bachelors degree when you start school there. You do need one to apply or be accepted.

I'm not sure if you meant don't need, but in most cases, people apply while they are still in their last year/last semester of undergrad, so they do not have their degree yet, but they are well on their way to earning it. Schools requiring a bachelor's degree will accept you on the condition that you earn your degree before attending optometry school the following fall. Failure to earn your degree after an acceptance could result in the school revoking your acceptance.

So if you are graduating May 2012, my advice to you is to start applying as soon as possible (in July 2011 when OptomCAS is open). That way, the schools will begin receiving your apps early and you will get invitations to interviews and acceptances in the fall of your senior year and possibly even make a decision before second semester! As long as you receive your diploma in May 2012, schools will not revoke any acceptances you might have gotten by this point.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you meant don't need, but in most cases, people apply while they are still in their last year/last semester of undergrad, so they do not have their degree yet, but they are well on their way to earning it.

You caught me. My fault. I meant you do not need one to apply or be acceppted.

Thanks for catching that Sayruhlou!

Haha yeah I figured it was just a typo and I'm sorry for correcting you. I normally don't go out of my way to point out somebody's mistakes, but I didn't want the OP to get confused!

Thank you much, guys.
Guess that won't restrict my options. Woot!