degree

Started by 143namil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

143namil

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do you have to get a degree BEFORE you apply to pharmacy schools or will they consider you competetive if they see taht you are in the PROCESS of getting a degree?
 
143namil said:
do you have to get a degree BEFORE you apply to pharmacy schools or will they consider you competetive if they see taht you are in the PROCESS of getting a degree?

You do not have to get a degree prior to applying to pharmacy school, but schools consider people with degrees to be more competitive applicants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
imprecious said:
You do not have to get a degree prior to applying to pharmacy school, but schools consider people with degrees to be more competitive applicants.

yea.. the thing is my gpa's pretty low.. but i was reading somewhere on the forum of someone saying tehy were waiting to get tehir degree before applying.. but i thought if schools knew taht u were gonna finish with a degree after getting accepted but before turning in applications.. tehy would consider you...


hmmm not sure...
 
I don't have any degree, I just took the prerequisites and tried to maintain a high GPA with a high PCAT score.

I got accepted to the 4 schools I applied to 🙂

A degree is a plus, but not necessary.

Adcoms care more about GPA, PCAT, experience and interview.
 
I think in considering whether you not you need a degree in order to applying for pharm school, check out the statistics of the specific school you wanna apply to. Like in California, the majority (+95%), if not all, of accepted students are those who will have earned a degree. Adcoms really stress the competitive appeal of having a degree. Bottom line-- It is possible to get into a pharm school without a degree. Chances of acceptance varies with school, state, application pool, etc.
 
Earning a degree, to look better because of your gpa is low, might seem like a good idea. The problem is those higher level classes tend to bring your GPA down, not up. That's not always the case, but if you struggled through the pre-pharm classes it might happen to you also. Haha, I managed to bring my grades up nearly a full point That was because I partied so hard my first 2 years, I couldn't really go any where but up. I guess what I'm saying is: it's a good idea if you were being lazy before and you now have your crap together, but a bad idea if you really tried in the prepharm classes and had trouble.
 
143namil said:
do you have to get a degree BEFORE you apply to pharmacy schools or will they consider you competetive if they see taht you are in the PROCESS of getting a degree?


I get what you're getting at. Don't worry. If you're in the process of completing a degree during the application process, ad coms see that as you applying with a bachelor's. I remember filling out something about completing a degree on the pharmcas.