Delaware Law Exam, Question please help URGENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viper2ko

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delaware Law states that C2 "may be dispensed up to 100 dosage units or a 31 day supply whatever is the greater." Could you explain this and the whatever is greater part. And what constitutes a dosage unit. As an example, could I fill Oxycodone 3 tabs once daily for #300 tabs. It is a 100 day supply but if 3 tabs are 1 dosage unit then that equal 100 dosage units which is greater than a 31 day supply. Or should I simply be viewing 1 tablet as 1 dosage unit. Several pharmacists have told me 3 tabs at one time would be 1 dosage unit so I could by law fill the prescription however 1 tab three times a day is 3 dosage units and that would be against the law; other pharmacists have told me 3 tabs would be 3 dosage units no matter how it is taken. I guess the overall question is what is a dosage unit? I can't find a clear answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Huh, I would read that as tabs or caps or patches or MLs or whatever. Whatever the "dosage unit" is. So 300 tabs would be 300 hundred dosage units. Maybe someone from Delaware can chime in with what the accepted standard practice is.

Reactions: 1 user
Huh, I would read that as tabs or caps or patches or MLs or whatever. Whatever the "dosage unit" is. So 300 tabs would be 300 hundred dosage units. Maybe someone from Delaware can chime in with what the accepted standard practice is.
That's what I was going to say, having never practiced in Delaware. Whatever the bottle label says it contains is a dosage unit (e.g. 30mg tablets). But I hesitated because some liquids are labeled as "per mL" some are "per tsp" and others are "per tbsp", so I'd double check on those.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Controlled Substances Act Regulations are a little unclear; however, I'm pretty sure that a dosage unit from the passage you quoted refers to a single tablet. I'm basing that on definitions from the original legislation (Title 16 Chapter 47).

It states:
(14) "Dose'' means an amount or unit of a compound, mixture, or preparation containing a controlled substance that is separately identifiable and in a form that indicates that it is the amount or unit by which the controlled substance is separately administered to or taken by an individual. A dose includes, but is not limited to: a pill; a capsule; a tablet; or a vial.
TITLE 16 - CHAPTER 47. CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT - Subchapter I. Definitions

I have no idea what to do with the question that came up about liquids. People practicing out of Delaware should know better than I do about both issues. :)

Actually, pharmacists in Delaware are confused about this too. No two pharmacists practice the same way. Delaware BOP should just do its job and come out and settle this... just like how California BOP came out and settled number of control med refill allowed a couple of years ago.

Reactions: 1 user