delay in residency training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone advise me about the consequences of delaying the residency by say 3/6 months.

I know the board exams are usually in Aug/Sep. Can one do the board exam before completing the residency. This is IM by the way.

I will appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

at leat in im, you cannot sit for the boards until you have completed residency training. you are not eligible to sit for the boards until you have finished your residency. to sit for the boards in aug/sep, you have to complete residency training by a certain date (which i think is july 30, but i'm not 100% certain). clearly, delaying residency 3-6 months pushes you into or past when the boards would be taken.

so, if you delay beginning residency training (or alternatively, you dealy ending residency training), by 3-6 months you won't be eligible to sit until the next year's boards.

for example, if you were to finish residency in august 2008, you would not be eligibile to take the abim in 2008. instead, you'd have to wait until aug/sep 2009 in order to take it.

Can I find a job without board certification/ without sitting for the boards like a hospitalist job etc ??

thanks so much..

Can I find a job without board certification/ without sitting for the boards like a hospitalist job etc ??

thanks so much..

As long as you are BE with a plan to take the exam, I think you'll find few employers who will refuse you a job. The exceptions most likely would be jobs as a Department Chair, etc. however as a fresh grad, you probably won't be considered for those anyway.

Most of the problems with needing to be BC come from insurance companies refusing to reimburse for care provided by non-BC physicians. But for new grads, especially as a hospitalist this typically isn't a significant problem (more so when in private practice). You'll be salaried.

thanks so much..

As long as you are BE with a plan to take the exam, I think you'll find few employers who will refuse you a job. The exceptions most likely would be jobs as a Department Chair, etc. however as a fresh grad, you probably won't be considered for those anyway.

Most of the problems with needing to be BC come from insurance companies refusing to reimburse for care provided by non-BC physicians. But for new grads, especially as a hospitalist this typically isn't a significant problem (more so when in private practice). You'll be salaried.

agreed.

i know a private attending who's been asking a few residents what they're using to study for the boards... turns out he graduated later then planned, and thus is waiting to take the boards.

Many people start moonlighting while awaiting to take the boards (i.e. they're BE, or Board Eligible).