Delayed entry? Possible?

Started by A_Jack
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A_Jack

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I have been going back and forth with this for awhile. Recently I was accepted into a DPT program, but there's one BIG problem, I was accepted with A LOT of uncompleted prerequisites. I wont name the school, but I've been wondering how this even happened. I was excited when I got the letter but that lasted about one minute when I realized how many classes I needed to take. I emailed one of the advisors who told me she was aware of the number of classes I had to take and that I needed to come up with a plan for completion and that would determine whether or not I could start in the fall. Note: This school has a fall only start. I planned to take some courses during the spring semester, but had a problem finding a community college that would accept my college science courses. My interview was during the spring semester so the interviewers knew I hadn't taken any additional courses (I took some of the other required prerequisites during the fall). A few weeks ago I had a meeting with an advisor at another community college who told me that he would place me in whatever classes I needed because he knew I had been accepted to the program. Problem is, he's pretty much saying there's no way I could finish all these courses by this fall. So here's my question, Is there a such this as delayed entry for physical therapy school or do you think I'll be asked to reapply? I'm a little confused by all of this, I haven't been able to get in contact with the advisor since then. I guess I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out.
 
Have you looked at online options? This is going to sound crazy but I enrolled in 2 separate community colleges last year to complete the credits I needed. I had to do this because it was more than maximum credits at 1 school. (This was a summer semester too so accelerated schedule). It was tough but doable. I figure not more instense than PT school itself. I studied about 8 hours a day every day but it all worked out. I would consider doing something crazy like that VS jeopardize your chance.
 
I considered doing that but most of the prerequisites I need are science classes with labs so online is pretty much out. I also considered trying to enroll in two different schools. Just out of curiousity, how many courses did you have to take?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had to retake pretty much everything again since all of my courses were too old to count. That particular summer, I took 7 classes. But this was the summer before I was applying. My gpa was very low so I waited to submit my app until gated my summer classes.

Does your school specifically have a no online lab thing? Surprisingly, a few of my schools did not have that restriction on all the classes.
 
. So here's my question, Is there a such this as delayed entry for physical therapy school or do you think I'll be asked to reapply? I'm a little confused by all of this, I haven't been able to get in contact with the advisor since then. I guess I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out.

First I'm surprised they accepted you with that many outstanding pre-requisites, but second they will almost certainly force you to re-apply if the program only matriculates in the fall. At my school we matriculate three times a year so it wouldn't be a problem but most schools are not going to hold your seat. Do well in those classes and re-apply to the same school. To make an a fortiori argument here, if they accepted you this year, what makes you think they won't accept you when you have a completed application?
 
Is it possible they will let you matriculate without completing those courses?! That would be sweet 😎 How many additional pre-req courses do you need? If you need to take more than 3 courses, I would suggest asking the DPT program to defer your admission until next fall so you have a year to complete all outstanding courses. Not to mention, but you will have guaranteed admission without going through the entire application process again, and possibly no re-application fees. If you can't get in touch with the advisor, email the chair of the program or director of admissions committee. Good luck!