Delaying Pediatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenacious_one

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as the title suggests i am currently an MS3 considering delaying pediatric residency to pursue an MPH. Plan is to complete all 4yrs and then do an MPH, then apply to the match. i understand people will question why i decided this path, HOWEVER will the REALLY hurt my chances of matching? To me in the big scheme of LIFE taking 12 months to pursue an interest before my 4th year or after my 4th year shouldnt matter....but then again what the residency program director thinks does.....

i welcome thoughts from other students and residents.

Members don't see this ad.

I think for many programs it's a plus- any extra degree or research experience. We have a year out fellowship here that is often after 4th year. Ideally you could do some clinical time in the year (maybe a 1/2 day of clinic or something) to keep up your skills.

If you need a break from clinical work then maybe it might be a good idea to do an MPH. However, if you just want the MPH to enhance your work as a pediatrician, then I would recommend considering pediatric programs that allow to earn the MPH during residency, this would allow you to keep up your clinical skills, and get no penalty for taking a year off to do MPH. If you do do the MPH I would recommend as the other poster stated of doing maybe 1 days a week, maybe weekend, in a pediatric clinic for needy children or the like, this will help you immensely when applying for residency I would suspect as you could get a letter from your supervisor, and it shows your commitment to clinical medicine.