1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

delaying rotations to study for step 1?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by chitown82, Mar 8, 2007.

1. chitown82

chitown82 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    anyone going to do this? i wasnt planning on it but im kind of panicking now. we have 5 weeks between the end of school and the start of rotations and im not sure if that will be enough for me (esp since i cant study much during the remainder of the year). if i delay my first rotation, i would take an additional 2-3 weeks to study. anyone have thoughts on this? im not afraid of not passing, but i want to get above a 240....
    please dont flame me for this posting!

2. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I remember what it felt like too man, don't worry too much.

5 weeks is sufficient and probably excessive. The goal is to work in 5-12 hrs of studying each day with 1-2 days off per week (varies wildly depending on the particular person). No one can keep that schedule up for 5 weeks. I guarantee that by week 3 you're going to be going mad with boredom.

To get 240 on boards requires both alot of work and some natural ability to take tests. It is 1 std dev above the mean of a bunch of med students so despite what you see on SDN not that many people break that score.

Unless you are really a tip-top student I would be careful about setting such a goal if it isn't realistic. Not that you shouldn't shoot for the stars, but it you got a 28 on your MCAT* and have been getting passes in all of your preclinical stuff a 240 might not be within your grasp. 230 would get your foot in the door for nearly any specialty.

*Please don't post your 28 to 250 experience, I know it happens but it is rare.