delaying rotations to study for step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone going to do this? i wasnt planning on it but im kind of panicking now. we have 5 weeks between the end of school and the start of rotations and im not sure if that will be enough for me (esp since i cant study much during the remainder of the year). if i delay my first rotation, i would take an additional 2-3 weeks to study. anyone have thoughts on this? im not afraid of not passing, but i want to get above a 240....
please dont flame me for this posting!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember what it felt like too man, don't worry too much.

5 weeks is sufficient and probably excessive. The goal is to work in 5-12 hrs of studying each day with 1-2 days off per week (varies wildly depending on the particular person). No one can keep that schedule up for 5 weeks. I guarantee that by week 3 you're going to be going mad with boredom.

To get 240 on boards requires both alot of work and some natural ability to take tests. It is 1 std dev above the mean of a bunch of med students so despite what you see on SDN not that many people break that score.

Unless you are really a tip-top student I would be careful about setting such a goal if it isn't realistic. Not that you shouldn't shoot for the stars, but it you got a 28 on your MCAT* and have been getting passes in all of your preclinical stuff a 240 might not be within your grasp. 230 would get your foot in the door for nearly any specialty.

*Please don't post your 28 to 250 experience, I know it happens but it is rare.