delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted588485

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caveat - only an M3, so minimal personal experience, but am applying this fall so I've done a good amount of research into the field.
1. Yes if you find the right practice setting & location in general practice; not sure how difficult it is to do so from the beginning but it's relatively common. You could also do a non-ob fellowship (urogyn, gyn onc, MIS).
2. See #1, you'd have to find this position which might be hard. Most groups would expect you to at minimum split OB call early in your career. I imagine it would be difficult financially to start a solo practice as gyn-only.
3. See #2, unless you're fellowship trained in a gyn-only field, you'll make significantly less (at least in the beginning of your career) without OB.
4. As long as you're board certified, I don't see why you couldn't resume later.

If you don't want to do OB simply because of the call and cost of malpractice insurance, it's important to realize your opinions are likely skewed by your experience with a solo practice. The majority of obgyns now are either employed or part of larger groups with 5+ partners. The burden of malpractice insurance for OB is significantly less in these situations than it is in solo practice, not to mention call is much more manageable in a group (q5 nights and q5 weekends in a 5 person group, for example) than it would be in solo practice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
1) It's possible, but not extremely common, for a new generalist to do gyn only. You'd have to find the right practice setting to do this- I can almost guarantee it won't look like your mentor's practice. Not many groups would let the fresh from residency newbie only do clinic and OR. Settings like prisons or standalone FQHC clinics might have more gyn-only opportunities, but those patient populations aren't for everyone.

2) I'm not sure the college won't eventually come out against various cosmetic gyn procedures (i.e. vaginal rejuvenation) as more evidence comes in. Regardless it'd be really hard to enter that niche as a new practitioner- you aren't going to learn any of that in residency, and in the settings where new grads could do only gyn (i.e. Medicaid clinics) cosmetic procedures are a no-go.

It seems that the exposure you've had so far has given you a skewed view of the specialty. The chance you'd be able to immediately have a practice that resembles your mentor's is pretty much nil. You could get there eventually, but you'd have to decide if it'd be worth it for you.