delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is literally the only book I would recommend, though there are pleeeeeenty on the market. I think you want to think about your opinion about things like breastfeeding and sleeping (co-sleeping, sleep training) and feeding in general (e.g., will you give your kid purees or table food? The latter is called "baby led weaning" which is a dumb name for a lovely concept). There are books on those things in particular.

Honestly I spent most of the first few years of my first kid's life googling stuff and finding research as I needed it, because there's no one book that covers everything you might want to know. I applaud you for wanting to think about science here, though!

Honestly I spent most of the first few years of my first kid's life googling stuff and finding research as I needed it, because there's no one book that covers everything you might want to know.
That sounds like an opportunity to write a book based on peer-reviewed research from across disciplines.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first days are glorious. The 3 months after that suck. Get on a schedule after the first month (somewhat, depending of how breast feedings works). After that, its just necessary life adjustments that will come naturally unless you are overly-rigid or nor prepared/ready.
And pray for no health compilations or peanuts an gluten allergies.

Reactions: 1 user
The first days are glorious. The 3 months after that suck. Get on a schedule after the first month (somewhat, depending of how breast feedings works). After that, its just necessary life adjustments that will come naturally unless you are overly-rigid or nor prepared/ready.
And pray for no health compilations or peanuts an gluten allergies.
Truth.... I’m at 10.5 weeks right here. First day back at work in an hour... it did get a little bit more fun when social smiling started but first weeks so far overall not so fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha, yeah it's not fun. Try the book "All Joy and No Fun" for a good description of that phenomenon (though that's really about older kids and not about babies). Overall, though, I've really not found a good book for the newborn or baby stage. I think part of the problem is that there is no actual evidence for a lot of this stuff, perhaps because there is SO MUCH VARIABILITY. When is your baby "supposed" to sleep through the night? Who the **** knows, because the "average" isn't necessarily applicable to every baby.

Oh, I will say that the Happiest Baby on the Block was useful for learning soothing techniques. I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and appreciated the sentiment there.

If you're looking for a general reference, American Association of Pediatrics has a couple of books about caring for small kids, like this one: Amazon product BUT their recommendations are on the conservative side and might not reflect the reality of what people do. Example: they recommend for baby to sleep in the same room as parents for 6 months. Did I do that? Nope. Baby moved to a room across the hall at 3 months, with a video and sound monitor on right next to my head.

Based on my reading of the literature and clinical experience with children and families, I would say it's important to remember the concept of the good-enough mother. The range of optimal environment is pretty wide and it is more about emotional development and attunement and the interpersonal connection than it is about the logistics.

That sounds like an opportunity to write a book based on peer-reviewed research from across disciplines.

I prefer my upcoming book: "Using other people's names to shirk responsibility:the story of why many women are mad at T4C in my area".

But in seriousness, I went to a Mayo or Cleveland Clinic lecture like a decade ago. The basis was that people will always pay for children services. Adults and the elderly, not so much. Might want to consider that.

I haven't read it yet, but there's supposedly a book based on research, called The Science of Mom: A Research-Based Guide to Your Baby's First Year. It's received positive book reviews, including one from Emily Oster.

Amazon product