deleted b/c helped, thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medstudentloading

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted b/c helped! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't use 1 for overcoming adversity. Though I understand what you mean by how difficult and how trying it can be, being someone who has struggled with weight most of my life as well, and I understand how you could apply that to a mission in medicine, unless you are trying to be a physician that is focused around weight-loss, primary care, endocrinology with a focus on obesity, etc. But, if it has applicability that you say, I would definitely include it in your application somewhere.
2. Is not a good idea. I am really not trying to bash your adversity, trust me, I empathize youve been through so much in your life OP, so I apologize if that is what is being communicated. The divorce, though emotional and difficult, you said it yourself, you didn't actively do anything.
3. This is what would be the best I think. This is medically applicable and personally applicable. I am proud of you when you give that story, and I am just some random doctor on the internet.

Go with 3.

I hope that helps, friend.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't use 1 for overcoming adversity. Though I understand what you mean by how difficult and how trying it can be, being someone who has struggled with weight most of my life as well, and I understand how you could apply that to a mission in medicine, unless you are trying to be a physician that is focused around weight-loss, primary care, endocrinology with a focus on obesity, etc. But, if it has applicability that you say, I would definitely include it in your application somewhere.
2. Is not a good idea. I am really not trying to bash your adversity, trust me, I empathize youve been through so much in your life OP, so I apologize if that is what is being communicated. The divorce, though emotional and difficult, you said it yourself, you didn't actively do anything.
3. This is what would be the best I think. This is medically applicable and personally applicable. I am proud of you when you give that story, and I am just some random doctor on the internet.

Go with 3.

I hope that helps, friend.
Thank you! This is exactly the advice i needed

Members don't see this ad :)
I would want to see the prompt, but #3 is a proper choice. #2 is really more of a circumstance for the OIE. #1 may be more a challenge because you took control of our health and wellness, which all admissions and student services feel positive about. (I don't know where you are hearing that eating disorders is verboten in med school apps.)

Reactions: 1 user
I would want to see the prompt, but #3 is a proper choice. #2 is really more of a circumstance for the OIE. #1 may be more a challenge because you took control of our health and wellness, which all admissions and student services feel positive about. (I don't know where you are hearing that eating disorders is verboten in med school apps.)
Isn't there a general consensus/opinion to avoid talking about personal mental health issues (in my case, eating disorder) from apps because the argument can then be made that medical school is stressful -> stress exacerbates mental health issues, including those from past -> this increases likelihood of falling back into bad habits/being mentally unwell, and thus 'failing' med school? obviously i don't believe this, but (according to Reddit) ADComs do?

and the prompt is: "Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result."

I can't speak from the side of an ADCOM, but...
As a former medical student, all of us struggled with mental health issues to a degree. Medical student mental health issues is a HUGE problem. Lost one of my classmates to suicide.
Mental health, though still a possibly intense topic, I would hope, would be less of an issue now than when I applied back in 2014.
@Goro @gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
I'm very fortunate to not have gone through much adversity, so I'm struggling to chose what to write about it. Which do you guys think is best? I know ADCOMS don't respond well to mental health issues -- do they also not like any of the following?

1. unhealthy relationship with food/weight growing up --> overcame by finding a love for powerlifting & a safe community at the gym --> i use exercise as a destressor now, which I will continue making time for in med school (i know i can write most genuinely about this, and i also listed powerlifting as a hobby on my primary app. but, i know mental health/eating disorders are touchy subjects for ADCOMs...)
2. parents divorced growing up and as the oldest child, i had to deal with the brunt of it --> overcame by turning to friends for support (i don't have much to say about "overcoming" it because i didn't actively do anything lol; also, almost everyone's parents are divorced so this feels like a weak option to me)
3. being hard-of-hearing and needing hearing aids --> story about how i almost didn't pass EMT physical, and thus couldn't become an EMT after already passing EMT class, because of my moderate hearing loss --> didn't want to get hearing aids because of stigma around it --> overcame this internally on my own, realizing the need to normalize this, etc. now i can relate to patients who also may feel ashamed at first & help them better come to terms with their situation. *plan to tell a story about how i was diagnosed right before COVID, and once everyone started wearing masks & i could no longer lip read, that's when I understood the gravity of my hearing loss situation*

Although #1 is most meaningful to me - and i feel like also ties well to medicine - I'm leaning towards #3. Just want confirmation that ADCOMs won't be turned off by this? TIA!
I recommend #1. it is an adversity you overcame and you seem most passionate about it.

"Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result."
Okay... #1 is definitely in-bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.