Unfortunately, the scrutiny against our relationship is more common than not. Not something we aren't used to. I, personally, would never discourage anyone from devotion to one another based on circumstance. Too many relationships and marriages end because of lack of support. i.e. My first marriage. We are so quick to default to "more fish in the sea" than "loving who you're with." My questions were asked for support and encouragement, not judgement. As far as "red flags" go, I married young without the maturity to know what I was looking for in a life partner. I never knew that my educational endeavors as a female and as a mother were something that would be viewed as selfish by my spouse and my family. I felt a tremendous amount of guilt for going to school even though I nearly had a 4.0 and working towards completing the honors criteria at my university while going through 2 pregnancies & raising two children. Often times, my family and spouse wouldn't show up to events where I received recognition or honors including an entire charity event I coordinated for a women's leadership non-profit organization; Irony. I would stand there alone & ask myself "Maybe a woman's place really is in the home... Is this all worth it?" I was constantly bombarded with pressure & guilt for "missing out on my children's lives." I was only away from my children 2 half days a week. My ex-husband filed for divorce because "he needed a wife not a college student." So before you judge someone on their life circumstance, be sure you know the entire story. If anyone knows how to support someone's educational and career goals, it's me. I would never deter someone from bettering themselves and success.
With that said, my SO is an incredible man. He supports my goals, accepts and cares for my children, works incredibly hard, and wants us in his life every step of the way. Time is not a gauge for appropriateness. Oftentimes people forget to remember everyone is not the same and veer away from the social norms. How boring life would be if everyone lived the same lives according to plan. Be gentle with those you may not know. You never know what they might be facing. "Southern Surgeon" I can tell you're from the South. Its unfortunately the attitude most people have down here. I encourage you to think of the grace you've been given in life, and extend it to others. It's an awful thing to make it to where you want to be and forget all the support it took to get you there. I wish you all the success in life you seek after. And when hardship comes your way, as it inevitably does, I hope you're extended grace and support.