PhD/PsyD deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you mean "setting" like inpatient vs outpatient vs PHP. Or like, I have never done this type of clinical work with this population before? One should cause much more anxiety than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
How you approach a new job situation really depends on where you are in your own professional development. I am returning to a similar setting to where I was in my first job as a licensed psychologist. I have a different mindset and approach at this point as I have additional experience and confidence. My first job I still looked at it from the perspective of a student or employee and not as an independently licensed healthcare practitioner with expertise that I was bringing to the table. I learned from that and am approaching this new position from a much different perspective. I believe my current employer will value what I bring much more than the prior and some of that is because of my approach and perspective. As mentioned above, I could probably give more specific advice if more specifics are provided.

It’s a pediatric psychology position.

Private practice? Hospital (inpatient or outpatient)? Medical clinic? Academic or non-academic? Are you in a group with other psychologists or part of a multidisciplinary team? Are you strictly clinical or do you have teaching or academic duties?

Tell a little more, please.

It's an outpatient multidisciplinary clinic, there are 6 or 7 other psychologists. It's strictly clinical and I'll be doing mostly assessment. Most of clientele are lower income.

I did my p.doc at private practice (60% assessment, 40% intervention), though I have research experience and a fellowship in neurodev. disorders under my belt.

It sounds like they want me to do lots of assessment. But, the assessments are structured very differently from my pdoc (fewer hours to complete them, they don't let us schedule more then 1 or 2 hour appointments). Higher assessment load, in general.

Get your reports done promptly. Work efficiently. Show up on time and get along with as many people as possible. The usual stuff to being a good employee.

Be careful not to focus too much on how it's different in a negative way as that will lead to increase in frustration and decrease in performance. It is a natural thing for many of us (all of us?) us to resist change and see the negative aspects of that, but it is better, IMO, to resist that natural tendency. As I transition to my new position in a little over a week, I already know that they will do things differently and that I will tend to see that as they are doing them wrong. Of course, since they are already doing them that way, they are going to think that they are right and who the heck am I to come in and tell them how things should be done.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Hopefully you got a job description in writing as part of your contract. If not, email the director and ask “To avoid confusion, what are my job duties/expectations?” in the nicest way possible to get something in writing. You do NOT want to get there and have them tell you that you’re supposed to do 15 assessments a week, or have them continually adding duties without compensation.

2) be as friendly as possible

3) but keep boundaries. You’ll absolutely have someone try to get you to take something of theirs on to lighten their load.

4) take on less at first so you have room to improve.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Hopefully you got a job description in writing as part of your contract. If not, email the director and ask “To avoid confusion, what are my job duties/expectations?” in the nicest way possible to get something in writing. You do NOT want to get there and have them tell you that you’re supposed to do 15 assessments a week, or have them continually adding duties without compensation.

2) be as friendly as possible

3) but keep boundaries. You’ll absolutely have someone try to get you to take something of theirs on to lighten their load.

4) take on less at first so you have room to improve.

Seconded. And thirded.

Every. Single. Time. Often multiple people. They have often acquired the work they are trying to pass on to you by not being assertive when it was passed on to them when they were new. If asked to do anything big (case tranfers; committee membership; strategic planning level projects) by someone other than your direct supervisor, get in the habit of nicely saying something along the lines of “thank for the opportunity, but I’m still new and will need to check with my supervisor to make sure that’s something I can do.” My experience is this will result in two things-1) your supervisor will slyly warn you about the folks who like to pass on their work to others; and 2) the others will realize you’re not an easy mark.

Reactions: 1 users
It's an outpatient multidisciplinary clinic, there are 6 or 7 other psychologists. It's strictly clinical and I'll be doing mostly assessment. Most of clientele are lower income.

I did my p.doc at private practice (60% assessment, 40% intervention), though I have research experience and a fellowship in neurodev. disorders under my belt.

It sounds like they want me to do lots of assessment. But, the assessments are structured very differently from my pdoc (fewer hours to complete them, they don't let us schedule more then 1 or 2 hour appointments). Higher assessment load, in general.

Not sure of your experience giving assessment results to parents of young children, but it is different (not necessarily more difficult) than giving results directly to older clients. If you don’t have experience with this, seek out opportunities to watch other clinicians and in turn be observed as you do this. You need to develop a style that works for you. This can take some time. Be prepared for crying parents. Also be prepared for disinterested parents. Become an expert in local services for the children you assess (including an understanding of financial benefits, such as SSDI, that may be available- you will be asked and should know where to defer/refer). Get to know your referral sources and sources of support for the children you work with (e.g., Early Intervention providers). It’s unusual for me to do an assessment without an EI provider present. Learn to recognize and talk about the cartoon and movie characters the children will have displayed on their shoes/shirts/back packs/sippy cups. Learn to juggle (seriously- it comes in handy with 2-4 year olds). Be prepared to be sick at least once per month over the first year as you build up immunity and developed habits for avoiding catching stuff from every sneezy, snotty nosed kiddo who comes through your door and touches you and your stuff!

Oh, and...

5) if you are in a productivity model, be very aware that competition between providers can become toxic. I find it’s important to remember that the source of the problem Is with the pay model and not your colleagues.

Thankfully it’s not a true productivity model. We’re all salaried. But the medical group that owns the clinic wants 7 of 8 hours worked to be direct client hours (they do have a goal of getting 75% of that). Because I’m doing a lot of assessment, it sounds like I’ll be given 2 hours per day for report writing. I don’t the goal will be the intense 20ish page reports I did in post doc, tho.

I’ve already started and the starting process has been a little disorganized. But it also sounds like there is lots of room to grow and change the role.