deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1164190

deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem with last cycle was applying to TX schools with a lower DAT and being OOS, and only 3 schools. That’s what hurt you. Personally I probably wouldn’t have recommended applying to TX schools since they’re just so picky but if you have the money and already applied not much you can do. But with an interview from last cycle that at least says something. I would aim to have 10-12 schools this cycle just to maximize your chances so you don’t have to reapply if this cycle doesn’t work out again.

A 20AA isn’t a bad score at all. It’s just ever so slightly below national average for matriculants at about a 20.7AA. But if you retake you really have to do better or it will hurt your chances.

I don’t think you should apply to Meharry unless you meet their mission fit. You could look into Florida schools or Tennessee. Creighton could be on your radar, maybe AT Missouri too. Georgia?

Why Meharry? If you don't identify as with a historically underrepresented race/ethnicity, you won't fit there.

What feedback did you get with LSU? Is it just to retake the DAT? Would you do it if it saves you tens of thousands in debt?

You need to pay attention to in-state/out-of-state statistics. Texas schools are tough but not impossible with your GPA. But I'm not sure about other public schools like UAB, UMKC, Oklahoma (which I would check about), MUSC, or OHSU. I would have you consider many more private schools: Creighton, Marquette, LECOM, Case, BU, Tufts, Temple, both ATSU's. VCU also is OOS friendly as a state program. Perhaps Pitt. Again, your GPA/DAT combo should get some attention.

I am worried about your volunteering, which seems to be very tutoring heavy. What community service (in-person) have you done for at least 150 hours (not related to sorority, per se... it's better if you were off-campus now that you're in your gap/growth year)?/

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I knew for this cycle I needed to apply to a lot more, and my Pre-Dental advisor told me to retake it, just a lot of stress that goes along with it! And as for Meharry, I looked up statistics about it and although I did not previously mention, I am Turkish and have indicated this in my applications. I mainly was looking there though because of the low DAT average and because it is in Nashville.

Thank you for the advice of the other schools, I will look into Creighton and AT Missouri. Which school in particular are you referring to in Georgia? I have the Dental College of Georgia in my AADSAS list currently. I didn't know if I should reapply to UT Memphis since they never got back to me until now.
I would still recommend removing Meharry, I don't think you'd meet their mission even if they have Low DAT and GPA averages, they mainly focus on underrepresented students in dentistry. I'm unsure if Turkish applies but if you wish to still apply then feel free to do so! I didn't see Georgia on your list, maybe I missed it but would keep it regardless. You could reach out to UTenn and ask them your status, but if they haven't rejected you yet, chances are if you showed improvement in your app you may get more looks

LSU sent me an email of ways to improve and the DAT was the first thing mentioned, they recommended getting at least a 21. The others were interview prepping, increasing shadow hours and community service hours (which I was worried about previously), and new letters of eval (all of which they said they tell every re-applicant). And I answered the Meharry question in the reply above!
Because I have to ask... is this a personal email to you, or could it sound like it came from ChatGPT (i.e., generic for all reapplicants)?

Status
Not open for further replies.