deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmedoctor2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on working hard and putting together a solid app. Assuming your step 2 goes accordingly, you will be competitive and hopefully get several interviews.

Needing a 270 on step and having AOA is not required. Yeah, they probably help but I know plenty of people with those accomplishments who ended up in a backup specialty. Nine ortho publications and 69 research items are incredible.. especially for now research year. I have a feeling you will get plenty of interviews, it's just going to be matching in itself (which is a separate game). Make sure you have mentors identified (hopefully connected in the academic field) who can make phone calls and vouch for you in the match process. This is the best way to move up a rank list along with interviewing well. Nail your away rotations (figuratively and literally) and hopefully, you match.

I really think that the top 15% of ortho candidates are elite... the next 85% is a crapshow and so many people fall through the cracks. Good luck!

I'm not a bone doctor, but I can tell you that PRS has a similar skew to their applicants at our institution. Most of the people I interview are insane candidates with exceptional clinical performance, numerous publications, and compelling stories. The people we match, however, are always a mix of that cohort and more reasonable applicants. I suspect that this first group is overrepresented in the interview process because of their desirability, but better represented on the actual match because there are only so many unicorns to go around. I'm sure they're also the first to self-report their statistics on public forums because they're proud of their accomplishments.

It sounds like you've worked hard in medical school. Your research involvement is substantial, which, I'm sure, means you will also bring some quality letters of recommendation and behind-the-scenes networking to the application cycle. Every reviewer weighs things differently, so your clinical performance will matter more to some, less to others. I, personally, do not care about Step 2 score at all beyond the threshold that proves that you are able to commit yourself to studying, but I know this is not universal.

I think you should focus less on the long-term goal of matching, and more on your short-term goal of doing well on Step 2. After that, you can take better stock of your application as a whole and gain some perspective from your faculty mentors.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a bone doctor, but I can tell you that PRS has a similar skew to their applicants at our institution. Most of the people I interview are insane candidates with exceptional clinical performance, numerous publications, and compelling stories. The people we match, however, are always a mix of that cohort and more reasonable applicants. I suspect that this first group is overrepresented in the interview process because of their desirability, but better represented on the actual match because there are only so many unicorns to go around. I'm sure they're also the first to self-report their statistics on public forums because they're proud of their accomplishments.

It sounds like you've worked hard in medical school. Your research involvement is substantial, which, I'm sure, means you will also bring some quality letters of recommendation and behind-the-scenes networking to the application cycle. Every reviewer weighs things differently, so your clinical performance will matter more to some, less to others. I, personally, do not care about Step 2 score at all beyond the threshold that proves that you are able to commit yourself to studying, but I know this is not universal.

I think you should focus less on the long-term goal of matching, and more on your short-term goal of doing well on Step 2. After that, you can take better stock of your application as a whole and gain some perspective from your faculty mentors.

Just curious in your personal opinion what score is the threshold that shows a student is able to commit themselves to studying?