-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Deleted
Started by SubclavianSteel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The day she checked in, the administration pan-emailed everyone in the hospital saying, without naming Britney, something to the effect of "when certain high-profile patients are in the hospital, if you are not directly involved with their care, access to their records is audited and anyone caught checking will be fired." These people must have gotten that email, must have then snooped anyway, and then were fired. Good riddance.
Still- snooping is a pretty hard urge to resist, especially for those who know how valuable juicy psychiatric medical information about Britney would be in this gossip-driven city.
Still- snooping is a pretty hard urge to resist, especially for those who know how valuable juicy psychiatric medical information about Britney would be in this gossip-driven city.
The day she checked in, the administration pan-emailed everyone in the hospital saying, without naming Britney, something to the effect of "when certain high-profile patients are in the hospital, if you are not directly involved with their care, access to their records is audited and anyone caught checking will be fired." These people must have gotten that email, must have then snooped anyway, and then were fired. Good riddance.
Still- snooping is a pretty hard urge to resist, especially for those who know how valuable juicy psychiatric medical information about Britney would be in this gossip-driven city.
is access to everyone's records audited or just those married to kevin federline?
anyway you get my point.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The day she checked in, the administration pan-emailed everyone in the hospital saying, without naming Britney, something to the effect of "when certain high-profile patients are in the hospital, if you are not directly involved with their care, access to their records is audited and anyone caught checking will be fired." These people must have gotten that email, must have then snooped anyway, and then were fired. Good riddance.
Still- snooping is a pretty hard urge to resist, especially for those who know how valuable juicy psychiatric medical information about Britney would be in this gossip-driven city.
Not defending their actions, but I'm not exactly checking my work email every day. I'm usually not interested in the GR conference schedule, or the new press releases.
I can understand the aspect of selling info to tabloids, but beyond that, I'm not sure why they came down so hard on this group. Every day, there is someone in every hospital defying HIPAA. "So-and-so is on the 3rd floor, I saw their family in the hall. I wonder why they are here?"
If you've worked in a hospital long enough, you know that when it comes time to be admitted, you either keep it a complete secret, or go to a different hospital.
Yeah, I can see your point. They also, however, made a huge deal of this during our intern orientation, because we do get a lot of celebrities roll through here. They said checking records without cause of either celebrities or hospital staff/employees pretty much constituted an insta-fire type of situation. Pretty sure they give the same spiel to anyone who gets access to the EMR system.
I'm pretty sure they knew what the consequences could be.
I'm pretty sure they knew what the consequences could be.
You've got to be kidding.Not defending their actions, but I'm not exactly checking my work email every day. I'm usually not interested in the GR conference schedule, or the new press releases.
I can understand the aspect of selling info to tabloids, but beyond that, I'm not sure why they came down so hard on this group. Every day, there is someone in every hospital defying HIPAA. "So-and-so is on the 3rd floor, I saw their family in the hall. I wonder why they are here?"
If you've worked in a hospital long enough, you know that when it comes time to be admitted, you either keep it a complete secret, or go to a different hospital.
Bertelman checked into BFE-MC under, well, Bertelman, but of course was recognized immediately by the staff. Rumors of his "shortcomings" proved to be well-founded, as word soon spread throughout the hospital regarding his "enhancement" surgery. A number of residents that frequented SDN (not the gas guys of course) discussed the "technical difficulties" of making such a drastic anatomical change in various forums of SDN, including providing the before and after pictures for comment, not knowing that Bertelman was a frequent contributor over in the anesthesiology section. The story was so unique that it circulated around all the SDN forums, including the anesthesiology forum, where all Bertelman's buds are now fully aware of his "problem".

"Not defending their actions, but..."
"Not sure why they came down so hard on this group"
Patients have a perfectly reasonable expectation to privacy. It's a very big deal. HIPAA is a very big deal. It's not unusual for me to do anesthesia for friends of mine - I don't breathe a word about it to anyone, even my wife, unless the patient specifically tells me it's OK.
They should have fired the physicians involved also-hypocrites...
Bertelman checked into BFE-MC under, well, Bertelman, but of course was recognized immediately by the staff. Rumors of his "shortcomings" proved to be well-founded, as word soon spread throughout the hospital regarding his "enhancement" surgery. A number of residents that frequented SDN (not the gas guys of course) discussed the "technical difficulties" of making such a drastic anatomical change in various forums of SDN, including providing the before and after pictures for comment, not knowing that Bertelman was a frequent contributor over in the anesthesiology section. The story was so unique that it circulated around all the SDN forums, including the anesthesiology forum, where all Bertelman's buds are now fully aware of his "problem". .
Bertleman, I suggest you use an alias instead of your real name Bertleman. 😉
I knew this was coming. People can't keep their big noses out of other people's businesses, even when told explicitly not to.
I have a buddy who prior to med school (keeping it vague here) worked in a hospital in California where he'd see celebrities treated for things they'd rather not let others know about. Usually it'd be C and maybe B list people, but one time a huge star came in for treatment. Of course, some joker in another unit hears about and uses the computer system to look up the full records and gets axed.
I have a buddy who prior to med school (keeping it vague here) worked in a hospital in California where he'd see celebrities treated for things they'd rather not let others know about. Usually it'd be C and maybe B list people, but one time a huge star came in for treatment. Of course, some joker in another unit hears about and uses the computer system to look up the full records and gets axed.
You've got to be kidding.
No, I wasn't. I'm not discounting HIPAA. I don't condone what they did. I'm just saying, it happens every day in every hospital, and infrequently leads to termination except maybe for repeat offenders. I think an example was made in this situation based on the particular patient. If any of those folks had accessed their friend's record, they would most likely have never been discovered. Were they dumb for accessing Britney? Probably.
I'm assuming this hospital uses EMR. Another option would have been to simply restrict access to the records. If the VA can do it for Joe Schmoe, UCLA can.
Do you normally throw in a small penis insult when you disagree with others? Really?
**p.s. noci, will you bequeath your image cache to me if your SDN persona dies? It really keeps the place lively.
**p.s. noci, will you bequeath your image cache to me if your SDN persona dies? It really keeps the place lively.
I am not smart enough to know if you are serious or not but I do enjoy your posts.😍 You can have my avatar too😍
No, I wasn't. I'm not discounting HIPAA. I don't condone what they did. I'm just saying, it happens every day in every hospital, and infrequently leads to termination except maybe for repeat offenders. I think an example was made in this situation based on the particular patient. If any of those folks had accessed their friend's record, they would most likely have never been discovered. Were they dumb for accessing Britney? Probably.
I'll bet people being disciplined for HIPAA-type issues is much more common than you would imagine. I can tell you from personal experience that it happens in cases involving non-celebrity patients as well, and I have zero tolerance for it.
And it wasn't meant to be an insult - just a purely fictional yet colorful example. Sorry if you took offense.
I'll bet people being disciplined for HIPAA-type issues is much more common than you would imagine. I can tell you from personal experience that it happens in cases involving non-celebrity patients as well, and I have zero tolerance for it.
And it wasn't meant to be an insult - just a purely fictional yet colorful example. Sorry if you took offense.
If they fire the guy who looks at his coworkers chart as well, then that's fine. Just want the punishment to be equal.
False accusations don't offend me. 😉 Didn't think it was meant as an insult, it was just a very colorful, drawn-out example of Bertelman's manhood issues. Looking at him, though, I would say he's got far more problems with the ladies than his mini frankfurter. He's impaled his nasal septum with a bone, and has man breasts.
(sorry Bertelman)
and yes, noci, I sincerely like the pics.
I know of three people who were fired at my hospital for looking at the Governor's medical record.
-copro
-copro
Forget the avatar, I'll take the girl. She's cute.You can have my avatar too😍

-copro
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad