Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently at a clinic with two OMD's and we see about sixty patients a day. Really all I do is the Slit lamp and DFE's on these patients. Its a practice that is heavy into pathology (one retinal doctor, and the other cataract/glaucoma). Most of the patients we see are above sixty years of age, and rarely see someone 30 and younger. Well anyways I saw this one patient that I'll never forget.
This patient was an 18 year old girl that was referred because of nightblindness and running into things at night. She wasn't sure why she was being seen again, and just that the referring doctor said she needed to see more of a specialist ( the referring doctor obviously told her very little). So this clinic was nice that every patient I get to see is already dilated, so I take a gander in the back, and see Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). It had a pretty much text book appearance and was easy to diagnose. If anything I was hoping that it would have only been sector RP (a quandrant instead of the whole retinal area). I talked with the attending doctor, and comes in for just a second to look with the BIO. He comes out and we converse for a few minutes. He told me to tell the girl and her mother the condition and the prognosis ( he said he wouldn't go back in, because I needed this experienc).
Soooo, I go back in and the girl is about to start college in another two months, excited about sorority rush parties, and an attractive young woman. So I sat there gathered my thoughts, and broke the news to the girl that complete retinal RP carried a genetic component and the chances that she would be blind by age thirty five were high. It was very hard to see a mother and daughter sit there in the room there and see their eyes fill with tears. I always try to break bad news with some hint of hope with low vision rehabilitation, but with RP the outlook is probably bleak.
Maybe it was more difficult because she was so young already, younger than me. I love this rotation, and ready to graduate in what ten more months.
How do you handle situations like these?
This patient was an 18 year old girl that was referred because of nightblindness and running into things at night. She wasn't sure why she was being seen again, and just that the referring doctor said she needed to see more of a specialist ( the referring doctor obviously told her very little). So this clinic was nice that every patient I get to see is already dilated, so I take a gander in the back, and see Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). It had a pretty much text book appearance and was easy to diagnose. If anything I was hoping that it would have only been sector RP (a quandrant instead of the whole retinal area). I talked with the attending doctor, and comes in for just a second to look with the BIO. He comes out and we converse for a few minutes. He told me to tell the girl and her mother the condition and the prognosis ( he said he wouldn't go back in, because I needed this experienc).
Soooo, I go back in and the girl is about to start college in another two months, excited about sorority rush parties, and an attractive young woman. So I sat there gathered my thoughts, and broke the news to the girl that complete retinal RP carried a genetic component and the chances that she would be blind by age thirty five were high. It was very hard to see a mother and daughter sit there in the room there and see their eyes fill with tears. I always try to break bad news with some hint of hope with low vision rehabilitation, but with RP the outlook is probably bleak.
Maybe it was more difficult because she was so young already, younger than me. I love this rotation, and ready to graduate in what ten more months.
How do you handle situations like these?