1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

dell or mac?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by nrddct, Jul 24, 2006.

1. nrddct

nrddct carlover
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I need to buy a laptop SOON and was wondering if any of yall have macs. I'm considering a mac, but aside from looking cool I don't know what other selling points macs have. (can you tell I dont know alot about computers? ha) Any mac users out there?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    dell or mac? what kind of choice is that? I mean, honestly, thats about as ambigious a choice as they come.

In either case, the answer is Lenovo.

4. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I love my Macbook! I've had zero issues with it. Great screen, great software, great keyboard, great wireless internet connection. Those are the biggest positives for me.

5. DORK7

DORK7 Member
    2+ Year Member

I have the exact same dilemma. Mac laptops look very cool and they are very small. However, I haven't used Mac that much so I don't know if i'll have a tough time using a Mac. More comments on this topic would be appreciated.

6. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I'm not a computer guy, so, take my comments with this in mind...

The new Macs have the ability to run MS Windows. If you have Windows installed, when you turn on a Mac, you have the choice of choosing which operating system you wish to use. If you have a powerful enough Mac, you can actually run both at the same time and switch between them. Not that everyone would even need this ability, but it seems with this new ability, the "Choose-a PC-because-of-more-software-options" argument is moot.

Needless to say, I chose a Mac. The primary reason: I've had PCs up to this point, and thought I'd like to try something different.

7. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mac is the only way to go. The software is much more stable than windows, you can now run windows without emulation, they have built in web cameras for video conferencing and are built with a higher standard of quality (I am a long time mac user but also own many gaming PC's so my opinion is objective). Please do yourself a favor, spend a little extra and get a mac!

8. DORK7

DORK7 Member
    2+ Year Member

are you satisfied with it? what do you find better about your Mac?

9. newbie04

newbie04 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mac.

everything. a mac is like a luxury car.

10. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

Macs suck for hackers, get a PC! :laugh:

j/k try them both. Personally I prefer PCs. It most likely have to do with the fact that I have almost always used PCs and then when I tried to use MACs while they do seem to surpass PCs in some areas, I just did not feel any bonding between the machine and I. I dunno I get more functionality out of a PC...

ok back to kernels

11. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go for Mac. If you really need Windows, you can run it on a Mac too.

12. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PC all the way for me. I just bought my Dell Latitude D620 a little over a month ago. I love it. Whenever I try to use a Mac at school it gives me a headache. It's so darn slow and wierd. Maybe I just don't like change as I've always used PCs. What's with the OS X? You can't legally install it on PCs but yet Mac promotes the use of Windows operating system on theirs. It reminds me of a health profession but I can't seem to remember what it is. ;)

13. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Oh please. I would have bought that argument 10 years ago. But not now.

14. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Oh, you mean overpriced?

15. Boner

Boner I just blue myself
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was a mac guy, then had a dell through college, and now I've got a 12-inch powerbook and I love it. I've never had a single problem with it and it's extremely portable. I found that the dell notebooks overheated too much, as did my roommate who had one. After about 3 years with the dell, it would overheat in about 15 mins and shut itself down. The transition to OS X, which I never used before in depth, was very easy; it is very intuitive. You just have to get used to the ease of use and its cool built-in features (i.e. dashboard, widgets, iphoto, imovie, iwhatever...) and you'll never look back.
    I've also found that even if you choose not to run windows on the new macbooks (I don't cause I have a powerbook and OS X 10.3), microsoft office suite is available with the macbooks (you get a 30 day trial, but if you choose to buy it you can get a MAJOR student discount) and that takes care of about 90% of compatability issues, unless you're a gamer or something.

On a side note, anyone have an airport? I'm thinking of getting the little one you plug into the wall socket so I can hook up my stereo wirelessly.

16. Boner

Boner I just blue myself
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Macbooks start at $1100. I don't think that's overpriced. Even if it a little more expensive, it's all about value - quality vs. price. I don't mind paying more for something that will never get spyware, viruses, has the ability to easliy interface with windows xp, has cool built in features and the best hardware options available.

(please note: no negative intentions, just the mac lover in me. :D )

17. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Who actually gets a computer listed at the start price?

18. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I paid less, actually. Student discount plus waiting for a college-student-only rebate got me an iBook for ~$800. Timing is everything, regardless of what you end up getting :)

19. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

20. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Congrats. I paid 1600 for a 2600 Lenovo.

Timing is everything. Base price isnt.

21. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I'm not sure. I've owned a Mac for about 15 hours.

So far, It's been fun figuring it out--but then I also enjoyed my desktop PC when it was right out of the box.

I'm not really a gamer, so I doubt I'll ever test the Mac's limits. I pretty much use a computer for Word & Excel, surfing the web, email, and photo/music applications. I'd probably be happy with either, but I was curious to try the Mac.

22. DOAnestMan

DOAnestMan Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The Macs are so cool....especially the newest ones with the Intel chips. Mine is so easy and intuitive to use. You should go for the Mac; in addition to being much nicer to look at, they are just as easy to use.

23. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Please Buckeye! I mean what do you use your PC for? What I said was and is legit even today. Check out the LCD panel you are running in your laptop or whatever you use. Can you tell me the contrast ratio? the pixel response? Is the luminance constant across the entire screen. These things cost money for people who care and Apple makes you pay a premium for having the best hardware not to mention software. I shoot a lot of pics as well edit some film I shoot on my Canon XL2. Your PC can have a fun time running Adobe Premiere while I'm kicking its @$$ with Final Cut Pro and Aperture. Peace

24. DORK7

DORK7 Member
    2+ Year Member

I've been comparing the macbook with other laptops (toshiba, dell). I've noticed that harddrive memory is only 60 for mac while it's at least a 100 for other laptops with similar features. Is it worth upgrading the harddrive or what? I definately want to upgrade RAM to 1.5GB, it'll cost me $160 whichis pretty good I think.

25. fozziewan

fozziewan Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honestly, Mac is the way to go not only for quality product but for the wonderful service. You get great phone support and also the option of in-store support at any Apple retail store in the world. Can't really say that for Dell or Lenovo eh? Dell kiosks in malls are just there to sell you their junk and maybe diagnose simple problems and suggest you call customer support to have it sent away. Anyways, my $0.02. I've had a 15" Powerbook since 2002 gave it to my gramps when I got my iMac G5 and a 12" Powerbook G4 earlier this year. Planning to get a black Macbook once I get my tuition refund.
    Upgrade the HDD to 80 or the 100 GB. Wait to upgrade the RAM. go to dealram.com and search for a better priced 2gig upgrade kit. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the price differences. Plus, its wicked easy to upgrade your own RAM. Any other specific questions feel free to PM me. I used to work for Apple (no, not the reason for my bias). I have experience with the new machines and how to upgrade them. Cheers

26. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I dont need customer service for my Lenovo. Its never so much as even frozen.

27. n0chi

n0chi Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i have always been a pc guy... but if i had the money id get me that cool new 13 inch mac notebook. that thing looks sexy! :)

28. ImNoSuperman

ImNoSuperman Deep Space 5
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A friend of mine in my class and I both got tablet PC's (he got a Gateway I have a Toshiba). I've been using my Tablet for about a year now and I would have to say that if you wanted it from me, you would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. OneNote is a great program (you can record a lecture with OneNote that is in sync with your notes that you just took) and you can also annotate directly on Powerpoint slides. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! However, if Apple ever did a tablet I'd sell my mom to buy it. Case in point: checking out tablets would be worth your while just because of the versatility with note taking! Happy hunting!!!

29. BobLJ99

BobLJ99 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I would seriously suggest not considering Dell. I have had my laptop for barely two years and the LCD screen stopped working. I spent $1500 on the computer and had to spend another $300 to get the LCD screen fixed (Dell wanted to charge me $500, but I was able to get them to reduce the price). I have been without my computer for two weeks and finally got it back today only to find out that it still is not working. The box that Dell shipped it back to me in looks like it was retrieved from a dumpster. DHL came to pick up the computer again and it is on its way back to Dell's repair center.

I have spent the last month dealing with this issue between trying to work out a deal with Dell that I could afford and finding out what is going on with my computer. Their customer support is completely inept and apathetic to customer problems. I even had to file a complaint about one particular rep that was very rude and inappropriate to me. Everything with Dell seems so esoteric and no one takes accountability for anything, they simply transfer the call. I will certainly go with an Apple computer before I start medical school.

30. jellibelli

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  31. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Get a Mac. The latest intel Macs can boot into both Windows and Mac OS X. With a Mac, you'll be working while others are calling tech support.

32. kylecare

kylecare Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think the argrument of different OS s is bull, I look at my apple desktop and look at my wife's pc desktop and they are virtually the same. They don't use any differently than each other. I prefer APPLE any day because of the stableness and lack of virus. I will always buy an apple. I really want to have the intel chip. the machine is sweet. The new G5 are also pretty sweet I think as well.

Macbooks, Powerbooks, iBooks, are all laptops but are not the same prices.

33. ruck

ruck Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I got my new macbook today :). Big problem though, where the hell is the internet icon? I can't find it. WOW it's gonna be really fun figuring out MAC.