demand for neurologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea how much neurologists earn? in terms of demands what areas are most neurology residents doing their fellowships in.

Members don't see this ad.

grant said:
Does anyone have an idea how much neurologists earn? in terms of demands what areas are most neurology residents doing their fellowships in.

I don't know about the fellowship question, which I'd like to know the answer to, but here is compensation info from AAMC's careers in medicine:

Clinical
Low
(25th Percentile) Median High
(75th Percentile)

1 - 2 Years in Specialty N/A $157,494 N/A
All Physicians $156,870 N/A $240,192

Source: MGMA Physician Compensation and Production Survey: 2004 Report Based on 2003 Data. Reprinted with permission from the Medical Group Management Association, 104 Inverness Terrace East, Englewood, Colorado 80112-5306; 303.770.1111. www.mgma.com. Copyright 2004.
Understanding Physician Compensation

Academic Medicine
Low
(25th Percentile) Median High
(75th Percentile)

Early Career $108,000 $125,000 $145,000
Mid to late Career $141,500 $166,000 $196,000

Source: Faculty Salary Survey, 2004. Association of American Medical Colleges.
Understanding Physician Compensation

I don't quite understand what you just posted. Can you reformat, or post a link to your source?

Members don't see this ad :)
grant said:

You can get the numbers from the last post. The poster was just trying to demonstrate that neurology isn't one of the higher-paying specialties. (Of course, there are very wealthy neurologists out there. It's just that on average, neurology doesn't pay as well as other specialties)

I'm not really sure what fellowships neurology residents pursue but I do know these 4 are available: Child Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology, Neuromuscular Medicine, Pain Medicine.

If money is your thing, I believe the highest earning potential lies in pain medicine.

dabigv13 said:
I don't quite understand what you just posted. Can you reformat, or post a link to your source?

This was from AAMC careers in medicine website (https://services.aamc.org/careersinmedicine/). You need a password from your school to log in.

What I posted above was the 25th percentile, median, and 75 percentile of the earnings in clinical and academic neurology. To summarize, the range is from 108K to 240K, with the median being about 160K.

You can find out more about fellowhips at the academy of neurology (http://www.aan.com/students/awards/fellowship.cfm). There are tons.

cdql said:
You can get the numbers from the last post. The poster was just trying to demonstrate that neurology isn't one of the higher-paying specialties. (Of course, there are very wealthy neurologists out there. It's just that on average, neurology doesn't pay as well as other specialties)

I'm not really sure what fellowships neurology residents pursue but I do know these 4 are available: Child Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology, Neuromuscular Medicine, Pain Medicine.

If money is your thing, I believe the highest earning potential lies in pain medicine.

You should never choose a specialty based on money. You should do something you enjoy and love. In all specialties the ability to make money is quite reachable. Remember that very few people can ever even earn $200K.

Also there are a lot more fellowships for neuro than 4. Sleep medicine and interventional neurology being 2 of the more lucrative fields.

The latter being a very, very well paid field.

also fellowships in neuro -onc (not at too many institutions right now); and also neuro-intensive care (very cool!)

kapMD/PhD said:
also fellowships in neuro -onc (not at too many institutions right now); and also neuro-intensive care (very cool!)

There is also neuro-immunology (mostly MS) fellowship, it too pays very well.

PukiUki said:
There is also neuro-immunology (mostly MS) fellowship, it too pays very well.

Let's just get this over with: :p

Fellowship Topic:
Advanced Clinical Neurology
AIDS
Alzheimer's Disease
Behavioral Neurology
Cerebrovascular Disease/Stroke
Clinical Neurophysiology
Dementia
Epilepsy
Geriatric Neurology
Headache
Interventional Neurology :cool:
Movement Disorders
Multiple Sclerosis
Neuroepidemiology
Neurogenetics
Neuroimaging
Neuroimmunology :cool:
Neurologic Critical Care :cool:
Neuromuscular Disorders
Neuro-Oncology
Neuro-Ophthalmology
Neuro-Otology
Neuropathology :cool:
Neuropharmacology
Neurorehabilitation :cool:
Neurovirology
Pain :cool: :D
Sleep Disorders
Spine :cool:
Other

http://www.aan.com/students/index.cfm

Let's face it - Neuro is just soooooooo friggin' cool! :love:

Another question:
I got step 1: 92-227 step 2: 91-224 step 2CS pass, step 3 about to do..
do I have a chance of getting in.
I am also writing a publication in neuroimaging...

grant said:
Another question:

Of course you have a chance, silly duck (don't you have advisors?). Now back to Neuro being friggin' cool.....

grant said:
Another question:

Your question (sorry to say) is ridiculous! Getting in to where? What school? And even if you told us what school, how the heck can anyone tell you your chances? Just apply broadly and widely.

Neurology is not competitive.

Hard24Get said:
Let's just get this over with: :p

Fellowship Topic:
Advanced Clinical Neurology
AIDS
Alzheimer's Disease
Behavioral Neurology
Cerebrovascular Disease/Stroke
Clinical Neurophysiology
Dementia
Epilepsy
Geriatric Neurology
Headache
Interventional Neurology :cool:
Movement Disorders
Multiple Sclerosis
Neuroepidemiology
Neurogenetics
Neuroimaging
Neuroimmunology :cool:
Neurologic Critical Care :cool:
Neuromuscular Disorders
Neuro-Oncology
Neuro-Ophthalmology
Neuro-Otology
Neuropathology :cool:
Neuropharmacology
Neurorehabilitation :cool:
Neurovirology
Pain :cool: :D
Sleep Disorders
Spine :cool:
Other

http://www.aan.com/students/index.cfm

Let's face it - Neuro is just soooooooo friggin' cool! :love:

Though not 'mainstream':
Peripheral Neurology
Autonomic Neurology www.mayoclinic.org/neurology-rst/autoneurogroup.html
ALS (may be clumped into neuromuscular)
Not to mention Neurological research and its 'subspecialties'.

Neuro IS cool!

Methyldopa said:
Sleep medicine and interventional neurology being 2 of the more lucrative fields.

The latter being a very, very well paid field.

About how much do those who specialize in sleep medicine or interventional neurology make?

How long are the fellowships for each of these subspecialties?