demand > supply

Started by APACHE3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

APACHE3

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this year only 41% of FM Match spots went to USMG's. Overall only 80% of FM programs filled their spots. I saw on medfools.com that this situation will not correct "overnight". Does this trend bode well for future FM docs, that is,... will we get more from the marketplace because there are less of us to go around? 😕
 
My take is: BC FM will be in demand but won't see a big jump in $. They'll tend to congregate around areas where the pay and lifestyle is the best. There will be a shortage in some areas (i.e. rural, urban-underserved, academia) and if reimbursement continues to be low/decline for primary care, people will have to hire other people to fill the PCP spot (IM, specialists doing PCP work, Med-Peds, EM burnouts, NP, PA, GP, foreign docs).

What I think will be key will be the specialty's ability to market themselves to patient that FM is what they demand... and only FM, so that there are no substitutes. FM will need to differentiate themselves from other specialties in order to drive a premium for their services. Simple shortage won't drive $ to the FM's pocket. You have to create a niche and create "brand recognition" in which there are no substitutions to drive that $. I think AAFP is on their way to doing that with the FFM project.
 
FFM project? I'm not familiar with that. I'll check it out. Thanks