Dementia risk tied to anticholinergic drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what you all thought of this study that's making the rounds on the news (especially because I am not a prescriber, myself). I don't think anyone's posted about it, yet - apologies if I'm mistaken about that.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I haven’t gotten a chance to read it yet but immediate question that comes to mind is maybe some of these folks the EMR has dementia diagnoses for who are taking anticholinergics don’t actually have dementia...

2) in a lay-news article I saw it mention antipsychotics and antiparkisons agents (I’m guessing stuff like benztropine) had highest risk which makes you wonder if some folks with bad “dementia praecox” eventually picked up a dementia diagnosis in the medical records

Although presumably wouldn’t have been published if they didn’t control those issues somehow so will need to check it out

And another question along the line of Armadillo's thinking is whether pw early dementia end up being prescribed stuff for behavioral symptoms (insomnia, agitation, anxiety; antipsychotics, anticholinergics, benzos) before they're diagnosed?

Members don't see this ad :)
On my drug interaction checker (YouScript), I have had stop sign warnings (the highest level of warning) for anticholinergic drugs I take for a couple of years now, whereas before there were no warnings for them. Other drug checkers give no warning about this interaction whatsoever. The nice thing about this checker is that it rates the evidence and gives links to the research they use.

This is what it says:

"
  • Increased risk of constipation, dry mouth, cognitive impairment, confusion and urinary retention.
  • Avoid combinations of highly anticholinergic drugs if possible."
Combinations of Medium/High Anticholinergic Activity Drugs [my drug names—deleted]
Effects

Mechanism: Additive anticholinergic effects.
Combinations of medications with anticholinergic properties may cumulatively increase the risk for adverse peripheral anticholinergic effects such as constipation, urinary retention, dry mouth and dry eyes as well risk for central anticholinergic effects such as confusion, cognitive dysfunction and delirium.1,2
Several scales recognized by the Beers Criteria such as the Anticholinergic Risk Scale (ARS) and the Anticholinergic Drug Scale (ADS) stratify the degree of anticholinergic burden conferred by individual medication.2
Research is ongoing. Studies assessing increasing anticholinergic medication burden utilizing the ARS, ADS and other scales have found significantly increased risk for worsened functional outcomes, institutionalization and even mortality, while other studies have not shown statistically significantly worsened outcomes or mortality.3
Management
Avoid combinations of highly anticholinergic drugs if possible. Weigh risk versus benefit of each medication. Consider use of alternative medication(s) with lower anticholinergic activity if possible and when clinically appropriate.
Monitor for increased risk of adverse anticholinergic adverse effects such as constipation, urinary retention, dry mouth, dry eyes, confusion and cognitive dysfunction.
Evidence: Moderate

And another question along the line of Armadillo's thinking is whether pw early dementia end up being prescribed stuff for behavioral symptoms (insomnia, agitation, anxiety; antipsychotics, anticholinergics, benzos) before they're diagnosed?

There is an ever growing literature on "non-demented" older patients and some of the heavier hitters like oxybutynin. In the neuro world, this is not new. We need some more work done on this, but the literature is pretty much on par for most of the pharma lit that is relied on, for what it's worth.

Couple quick examples

There is an ever growing literature on "non-demented" older patients and some of the heavier hitters like oxybutynin. In the neuro world, this is not new. We need some more work done on this, but the literature is pretty much on par for most of the pharma lit that is relied on, for what it's worth.

Couple quick examples
I mean, yes, taking an anticholinergic drug will worsen cognitive performance in pretty much anyone. Interesting that the first paper saw no association with increased rates of dementia after 8 year follow-up.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it’s controversial at all that anticholinergics cause cognitive issues while your taking them, the JAMA article seemed to be raising possibility they straight up cause irreversible dementia over time.

Which is obviously quite a bigger deal if true, but for some of reasons above I’m skeptical.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, yes, taking an anticholinergic drug will worsen cognitive performance in pretty much anyone. Interesting that the first paper saw no association with increased rates of dementia after 8 year follow-up.

Well, their diagnostic method was questionable. But, in general, I imagine some people are misdiagnosed in general clinics based on "reversible" causes. Reversible being debatable in some cases. But, in this instance, we've definitely seen people with objective scores in the impaired range on initial testing, with significant improvement after RCI analyses, following a med reconciliation for such drugs. I'm not quite sold on them leading to higher incidences of dementia in and of themselves, but I'm willing to entertain the idea and push for more funding. Gero med effects are vastly understudied, with most larger scale studies relegated to chart review scraping studies. We all to often rely on pharma studies who rely on inappropriate analyses and massaged data for the initial work and just take it at face value.

This has been discussed all over the hospital I’ve been at this month and to note there are no objective measures. They didn’t have any kind of baseline, it’s all pulled from a database. They talk in their limitations about misdiagnosis, but it’s even hard to comment on the likelihood as all the data is from England. I have no idea how liberal they tend to be with a diagnosis of dementia.

I agree that cause and effect are very confounded in this. We might as well conclude that Aloe Vera use causes skin damage.

Just skimming it and came across this:

"Patients with prescriptions for acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting drugs (donepezil, galantamine, memantine, and rivastigmine) but without a recorded diagnosis of dementia were also included because these drugs are licensed only for patients with dementia."

Just on my gero psych month I could count at least a handful of patients we took off some of these drugs since they seemed to be inappropriately prescribed...

Just skimming it and came across this:

"Patients with prescriptions for acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting drugs (donepezil, galantamine, memantine, and rivastigmine) but without a recorded diagnosis of dementia were also included because these drugs are licensed only for patients with dementia."

Just on my gero psych month I could count at least a handful of patients we took off some of these drugs since they seemed to be inappropriately prescribed...

Let's not forget refractory OCD cases as well (for memantine at least)

Reactions: 1 user