Demoralized...advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've finished my aamc self assessments except physics. I completed them on consecutive days, entire sections at once. Honestly, I was expecting better.

Bio - 70%
Chem - 66%
Verbal - 86%

Based on rough estimates as I understand them, this is ...

BS 9
PS 8
VR 12

Is it possible fatigue set in a bit here given I did the entire sections in one sitting? My test is June 21st, are raising PS and BS by 5-8 % each easily doable?

My goals are to get into med school; im perfectly content with DO. I'm certain a 30 would get me in.....and raising the scores as mentioned above should get me that 30-31.

If I CANT raise my scores and I'm stuck at a ~28/29 do you think I'll get in? Stats are 3.3 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, non trad with a serious upward trend, 3.8 post bacc, and great ec's/life experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Listen, definitely don't get demoralized. The MCAT is a beast and can get the best of us sometimes, but don't let that stop you from following your passion. Take a deep breath, do whatever helps you de-stress and then look at this logically. You have an (estimated) 29 on the MCAT, all you need to do is raise your score by a few points by June 21st. That leaves you a good month and a week to get cracking. That is definitely doable. In fact, I've seen people make remarkable improvements in the same amount of time. The best advice I can give you is to take some time to find your weaknesses. Really look at your assessments and see where you need the most improvements. Then, based on that create a study plan and believe in it! And this will be a blatant plug, but if you feel too overwhelmed, you could always get tutoring. Often having another person to keep you calm and on track can be a lifesaver.

Good luck, and stay strong.

I just took mine. Don't get demoralized. Be happy your VR is good, because that is the absolute hardest to improve. For bio and physics, review each chapter, take notes, ask yourself questions to gauge understanding during it, and do tons of pertinent passages after each chapter review to hammer concepts home. With concepts you have trouble with, always write out equations or explanations constantly and come up with ways to make yourself remember it (mnemonics type stuff). I promise, if you do this with hardcore effort you will ball out.

Those are actually pretty good numbers considering you have move a month to improve them so definitely do not get discouraged! Take a day or two off and take your mind off of it until you are fresh. What have you done to study and for how long thus far? I never took the aamc assessments so I am not sure exactly they entail. Feeling demoralized and taking the MCAT come in the same package so keep in mind it is almost a universal experience and in no way a dead end. I found the critical component to beating this test is loads of practice and even more analysis of performance. There is a "golden method" to the MCAT its just incredibly elusive because it varies between individuals and it takes an impressive amount of work to find. I wrote a detailed post about my three MCAT experiences in the 30 + thread that might be of some help to you because I was in a very similar place with my number breakdown an feelings. I was in a similar circumstance with grades and pressure to raise my MCAT as well and it all worked out quite well. Stay positive and remember that you have all the tools to succeed, you just have to learn how to use them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are actually pretty good numbers considering you have move a month to improve them so definitely do not get discouraged! Take a day or two off and take your mind off of it until you are fresh. What have you done to study and for how long thus far? I never took the aamc assessments so I am not sure exactly they entail. Feeling demoralized and taking the MCAT come in the same package so keep in mind it is almost a universal experience and in no way a dead end. I found the critical component to beating this test is loads of practice and even more analysis of performance. There is a "golden method" to the MCAT its just incredibly elusive because it varies between individuals and it takes an impressive amount of work to find. I wrote a detailed post about my three MCAT experiences in the 30 + thread that might be of some help to you because I was in a very similar place with my number breakdown an feelings. I was in a similar circumstance with grades and pressure to raise my MCAT as well and it all worked out quite well. Stay positive and remember that you have all the tools to succeed, you just have to learn how to use them!

Thanks for your comments.

I've been at since mid February..so about 3 months. I've done all content review, which is why this is so demoralizing. I feel like I should have scored better than I did. I'm feeling like, if I couldn't have done better than I did after 3 months, how in the hell am I going to do much better in the next 5+ weeks.

I guess I'm at a cross roads. I'm willing to put in as much time as needed, but I don't know how to spend this time. Should I continue doing content review because I obviously have some holes...or should I focus on passages/full-lengths/assessment AND analysis. As I mentioned, I need about +3 questions correct in both BS and PS to feel very good about a DO acceptance. Just don't know the best way to get there.

the whole point of the self assessment (at least for me) was to pinpoint my weaknesses so i could develop them. it isn't an MCAT FL, and that's why they don't give you a translated #/45 score. use the results to find what you're bad at and study that.

Just to FL's now, you've spent alot of time (too much time even) on content review.

You will learn more weaknesses by doing FL's ,and reviewing them.

Thanks for your comments.

I've been at since mid February..so about 3 months. I've done all content review, which is why this is so demoralizing. I feel like I should have scored better than I did. I'm feeling like, if I couldn't have done better than I did after 3 months, how in the hell am I going to do much better in the next 5+ weeks.

I guess I'm at a cross roads. I'm willing to put in as much time as needed, but I don't know how to spend this time. Should I continue doing content review because I obviously have some holes...or should I focus on passages/full-lengths/assessment AND analysis. As I mentioned, I need about +3 questions correct in both BS and PS to feel very good about a DO acceptance. Just don't know the best way to get there.[/QUOTE

The critical question for you right now is why exactly are you missing those questions you need? If you do a series of practice full lengths and give them a careful examination you should be able to pinpoint whether the issue is content or testing deficiency. Either way I would start doing practice full lengths and analysis because you have likely covered all you need in those 3 months and the probability of increasing your score with more content review is less likely than with focusing your attention on taking the test well. If you are only around 3 questions away per passage from your goal, getting efficient with taking the test will cover that gap even if you still have some content missing and the practice will solidify your content understanding. After taking 3 MCATs I feel like doing well is almost 60/40- test taking skill/content knowledge.