• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm having great difficulty understanding the answer, especially regarding choice II.

xo8t5.png

Which of the following statements concerning the materials listed in the table above are true?

I. A greater force is required to rupture an aluminum rod than a glass rod

II. A unit of mass of bone would occupy a larger volume than a unite mass of glass.

III. When subjected to equal stress, bone would experience a greater strain than aluminum

A.I & II only
B. I & III only
C. II& III only
D. I, II, and III

Answer: A

shoehornlettuce

Nov 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
I'm having great difficulty understanding the answer, especially regarding choice II.

xo8t5.png

Which of the following statements concerning the materials listed in the table above are true?

I. A greater force is required to rupture an aluminum rod than a glass rod

II. A unit of mass of bone would occupy a larger volume than a unite mass of glass.

III. When subjected to equal stress, bone would experience a greater strain than aluminum

A.I & II only
B. I & III only
C. II& III only
D. I, II, and III

Answer: A

II is true because density is weight per unity volume. So lets say you have 1kg of bone and 1 kg of glass. For glass: 2200 = 1kg / Vglass and Vglass will = 1/2200. For bone: 1900 = 1kg / Vbone and Vbone will = 1/1900. 1/1900 is greater than 1/2200 so II is true.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
and I is true because ultimate strength tells you the threshold of force that they can take till breaking. Aluminum simply has a greater value.

III is false because stress/strain = young modulus. therefore, a larger YM means less strain per stress. (because they are inversely related)

bone has larger YM therefore less strain per stress.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.