Dent Schools Increase in size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AkaDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know of dent schools increase number of admitting students becuase of gov. funding cuts? i believe mine is LSU.. not sure yet

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know of dent schools increase number of admitting students becuase of gov. funding cuts? i believe mine is LSU.. not sure yet

Increase class size to generate more money from tuition to make up for government funding cuts? Dicey move. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but I'm only following my alma mater at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Increase class size to generate more money from tuition to make up for government funding cuts? Dicey move. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but I'm only following my alma mater at this point.

Maryland went from 100 to 130... and virtually no new faculty.

The problem is that dental schools are a major money losers for universities and it's getting worse. They can't bill medicare/caid like the med schools do and they lost the residency stipends they were getting a few years back. Now, many states such as Cali are cutting pedo dental coverage making it even harder for Dschools to finance themselves. Starting salary at Dschools for a full time dentist was 75K when I graduated 4 years ago.... how can they expand with that kind of compensation?

Maryland went from 100 to 130... and virtually no new faculty.

The problem is that dental schools are a major money losers for universities and it's getting worse. They can't bill medicare/caid like the med schools do and they lost the residency stipends they were getting a few years back. Now, many states such as Cali are cutting pedo dental coverage making it even harder for Dschools to finance themselves. Starting salary at Dschools for a full time dentist was 75K when I graduated 4 years ago.... how can they expand with that kind of compensation?

Yes, Maryland has gone from 100 --> 130 over the past few years. In addition, Maryland's class is approximately 1/2 out-of-staters paying just a bit less than private schools are charging. Hence, why we have all the nice stuff.

However, I think we increased our class size before all the cuts in funding.

Hup

They can't bill medicare/caid like the med schools do and they lost the residency stipends they were getting a few years back. Now, many states such as Cali are cutting pedo dental coverage making it even harder for Dschools to finance themselves.

Are you sure? I thought they're only cutting adult dental coverage as of July 1.

Are you sure? I thought they're only cutting adult dental coverage as of July 1.

actually, I think you right about that but I have heard a number of states are looking at cutting much of the dental coverage for all age groups. As state budgets balloon, there will be more rationing of care.

The Governator just said Cali will have another $15 Billion deficit into 2010 so they may cut pedo too, unfortunately.

on the other hand it could be due to a shortage of dentists.. maybe ADA putting pressure on dschools??