dental and med school difficulty level

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are dental and medical school comparable in level of difficulty or is one harder than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, at my school the med students take 3 courses while the dents take 9 (including the 3 the meds take). The meds are out of class by noon, the dents are out by 5. In some respects the courses that the meds take are a bit more in depth than the courses the dents take. Both are difficult and different. It would be hard to say which is more difficult, although I would think dental school is. We not only have the didactics but also a clinical aspect to work on throughout school. The clinical aspect saps up a lot of your time and your hand skills must be up to par (or become so) in order for you to complete your work, adding a dimension that the meds don't really have.

I have no clue here, as I am only a dental student and never done medical, but I wonder if it varies by year as well. I know that the first two years of most dental schools are crazy busy, but it seems the last two years are pretty chill when it comes to classes and tests because most are in the clinic. So maybe dental wins year 1 and 2 with med winning 3 and 4? I dunno. Just an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can tell between my friends in med and dental school, they are both just different. Med students have a lot more didactic material to know with all the pathology, pharmacology, etc. Dental students dont go into so much depth with that but have the trade-off of clinical and lab work. I kinda like the variety of dental curriculum. I would go crazy sitting in class ALL day. Lab and clinical are kinda like "art class" to break up the monotony.

Well, at my school the med students take 3 courses while the dents take 9 (including the 3 the meds take). The meds are out of class by noon, the dents are out by 5. In some respects the courses that the meds take are a bit more in depth than the courses the dents take. Both are difficult and different. It would be hard to say which is more difficult, although I would think dental school is. We not only have the didactics but also a clinical aspect to work on throughout school. The clinical aspect saps up a lot of your time and your hand skills must be up to par (or become so) in order for you to complete your work, adding a dimension that the meds don't really have.

This was the impression i got when i interviewed at schools with med and dent together the first 2 years.

Even the med students thought the dental students had it hard the first 2 years. But then they all agreed it was a major switch the latter 2 years!

But then again, med students have absolutely no direct patient responsibility....most dental students do.

Whatever, they're both very different and the public still thinks you are attending a 2 year program to get your dentisting permit. Even some d-school patients think that...they have their student dentist changed every 2 years, why would they not think that?