Dental assistant course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iAlpha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently an undergrad and I'll also be doing a 9 week dental assistant certificate program come this fall. I would like to know if its advisable to take a full course load at my college while I'm going to DA school and what's the course load like for the DA program including clinicals? Since I'm on financial aid, I planed on taking at least 12 credits (Gen chem 1, Pre Cal 1, World history 2 & Medical ethics) . Would this be manageable, should I take 2-3 classes or just skip the semester all together? I honestly don't know what to do :(, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the reason you are going to DA school? Being a dental assistant does not really help your application if it means your grades are suffering.

I don't advise going to DA schools at all. You get more valuble experience, money, and dentist relations if you find a dentist to pay you minimum wage that is willing to train you for your certification (which is just a test that you shouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a class)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the reason you are going to DA school? Being a dental assistant does not really help your application if it means your grades are suffering.
Being a dental assistant seems like a viable option at this point where I'll be able to gain exposure and hands on experience in a profession that I want to commit my life to. Basically, I just want to get my hands into someone's mouth already lol :D.

I don't advise going to DA schools at all. You get more valuble experience, money, and dentist relations if you find a dentist to pay you minimum wage that is willing to train you for your certification (which is just a test that you shouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a class)

I was looking into this, but it's so difficult to find a dentist that's willing to train you much less shadow. After countless phone calls to Dental offices with no success, I was lucky to get an interview with a dentist about shadowing through a referral from one of my professors :). My interview is next week, would it be polite to ask her to train me also?

I was looking into this, but it's so difficult to find a dentist that's willing to train you much less shadow. After countless phone calls to Dental offices with no success, I was lucky to get an interview with a dentist about shadowing through a referral from one of my professors :). My interview is next week, would it be polite to ask her to train me also?
Ask for training a few weeks after shadowing and developing a good relationship.