1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dental assistant course load

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by iAlpha, Aug 21, 2015.

1. iAlpha

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys, I'm currently an undergrad and I'll also be doing a 9 week dental assistant certificate program come this fall. I would like to know if its advisable to take a full course load at my college while I'm going to DA school and what's the course load like for the DA program including clinicals? Since I'm on financial aid, I planed on taking at least 12 credits (Gen chem 1, Pre Cal 1, World history 2 & Medical ethics) . Would this be manageable, should I take 2-3 classes or just skip the semester all together? I honestly don't know what to do :(, any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kyle nguyen

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What is the reason you are going to DA school? Being a dental assistant does not really help your application if it means your grades are suffering.

4. Typical Average Student

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't advise going to DA schools at all. You get more valuble experience, money, and dentist relations if you find a dentist to pay you minimum wage that is willing to train you for your certification (which is just a test that you shouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a class)

Confused1617 likes this.
  5. iAlpha

Pre-Dental
    Being a dental assistant seems like a viable option at this point where I'll be able to gain exposure and hands on experience in a profession that I want to commit my life to. Basically, I just want to get my hands into someone's mouth already lol :D.

6. iAlpha

Pre-Dental
    I was looking into this, but it's so difficult to find a dentist that's willing to train you much less shadow. After countless phone calls to Dental offices with no success, I was lucky to get an interview with a dentist about shadowing through a referral from one of my professors :). My interview is next week, would it be polite to ask her to train me also?

7. Typical Average Student

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ask for training a few weeks after shadowing and developing a good relationship.

8. iAlpha

Pre-Dental
    Ok I'll keep this in mind, thank you!