Dental Assistant path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted259194

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at the different routes I can take to getting my DA certification because I really want to get some hands on experience and work on my manual dexterity. I know there are certifications you get get on-line but I really want to take a legitimate course that will prepare and educate me adequately. The only thing is the classes ranges anywhere from 2,000-3,500 from where I live. Dentistry is my long term goal so I know it's a good investment but I'm just a little short on money right now.

What are y'alls suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at the different routes I can take to getting my DA certification because I really want to get some hands on experience and work on my manual dexterity. I know there are certifications you get get on-line but I really want to take a legitimate course that will prepare and educate me adequately. The only thing is the classes ranges anywhere from 2,000-3,500 from where I live. Dentistry is my long term goal so I know it's a good investment but I'm just a little short on money right now.

What are y'alls suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

if you're goal is dexterity then go work for a lab. you wont get much out of being an assistant. lab work gets you better at everything you'll have to do in school, your fixed and removable classes will make WAYY more sense when profs starting talking about beading/boxing/investing/waxing/procession/refractory cast/pindex/etc.

assisting has its upside too, you'll learn the clinic side of stuff, but school will teach you most of that. get some good shadowing and you'll be fine on that. i personally worked at a lab for ~6 mo bf school and it made a TON of differences. waxing was a breeze, i already knew "easier" ways of doing things with same result, and now i do lab work for classmates and such and make some cash on the side.

edit: and you're preclinic work will look better than most. which can actually impress your profs a little... just sayin :)

if you're goal is dexterity then go work for a lab. you wont get much out of being an assistant. lab work gets you better at everything you'll have to do in school, your fixed and removable classes will make WAYY more sense when profs starting talking about beading/boxing/investing/waxing/procession/refractory cast/pindex/etc.

assisting has its upside too, you'll learn the clinic side of stuff, but school will teach you most of that. get some good shadowing and you'll be fine on that. i personally worked at a lab for ~6 mo bf school and it made a TON of differences. waxing was a breeze, i already knew "easier" ways of doing things with same result, and now i do lab work for classmates and such and make some cash on the side.

edit: and you're preclinic work will look better than most. which can actually impress your profs a little... just sayin :)

Thanks for the helpful advice bigstick (kinda weird saying that lol). Going to definitely ask my professor to see if I can get a job doing research with him starting fall so I can get my fingers rdy! Hope dental school is going well :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Any advice on looking for a job in a lab? Do you need certifications or any type of training to apply and do you already need great hand skills?

Any advice on looking for a job in a lab? Do you need certifications or any type of training to apply and do you already need great hand skills?

i didn't have any exp when i started. i knew a lady that owned a lab and she let me work there a week as an "intern" to learn what they did. gave me a burner and tools and said here, "wax up this tooth". i did ok and she said i could get paid per unit done from then on out. i then started watching the other guys in what they did to learn about RPD design, denture processing, stacking porcelain, etc and learned a TON.

just ask your local dental lab what you can do. a "mom and pop" type lab will likely let you just try it out over the big commercial places like OralArts, etc.

The DA, DH or the DT path do not provide a strong background in the basic sciences and as such, they have little or no value.

The DA, DH or the DT path do not provide a strong background in the basic sciences and as such, they have little or no value.

My apologies. I didn't give my full academic background. I have most of my pre-reg done with and in the process of finishing my second BS degreel. I want to get as much dexterity practice and exposure before entering dental school.

My apologies. I didn't give my full academic background. I have most of my pre-reg done with and in the process of finishing my second BS degreel. I want to get as much dexterity practice and exposure before entering dental school.

Your mind is already made up. Kind of sad that with 2 degrees under your belt, you are want to immerse yourself in a position where a HS diploma is optional.

I went through a similar path with the second degree. I initially started as a dental assistant and then took a course through the dental school ,which allowed me to do a lot more hands on. It cost me around $900. I really enjoyed a more extensive hands-on experience after that, which I think will be valuable moving forward. I agree that working in a lab will also be a valuable experience. You just have to decide for yourself which environment will benefit you the most. In the office you'll have a patient interaction, experience passed on from dentists, some understanding of running a dental business, etc. Good luck.