As business owners, we all have to deal with the assistants who come and go….assistants who call in sick....assistants who take vacations…..staff hiring and firings etc. I too have lost a few of my P/T assistants to other offices that were willing to offer them more work hours and better pay. A few months before the Covid, I lost a very important F/T assistant, who could do chairside assisting make in-house retainers. He passed the commercial driver’s license test and wanted to drive truck full time. It was a good thing because when our offices were shut down due to Covid, I only had to pay salaries for 2 F/T employees instead of 3.
For this reason, I cross-train my staff so they can perform different tasks in case one of them quit or call in sick. For example, my office manager can take xrays, take impressions, sterilize instruments, cut poky wires for emergency patients. I pay her a lot (bonus+ vacation pay+holiday pay+ 401k) because she's the only person I can’t lose. She’s 55 and I am 49….we plan to retire at the time…probably in 10-15 years. 3 of my 7 P/T assistants can make retainers. I can also multitask. I can work as an assistant and I work much faster than most of them. My staff don’t mind working harder (when one of their co-workers is absent) for me because they all want to go home ontime. To keep them happy, I use the salary portion of the assistant, who quit, to pay each of them 1 overtime hour on top their regular daily salary. It’s only temporary until I hire a new employee.