Dental Assisting vs Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutiesc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a dental assistant for 3 years before joining the Air Force (7 yrs) and finally coming to this point where I am applying to dental school. I have shadowed with a few dentists just to get some current perspective in dentistry but seems like shadowing was less of an experience than actual dental assisting.

Do dental school admissions care how long ago you were an assistant or do they prefer more current shadowing hours. Is dental assisting and shadowing viewed in the same degree? Could my dental assisting years be counted as shadowing hours?

Any advice from a current dental student/prior dental assistant would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak from experience with dental assisting, but I will be starting dental school this fall. I had only shadowing hours, but from my understanding of a dental assistant's role, it seems you would get the same shadowing experience, plus some hands on experience. I would think that it would definitely be viewed favorably over shadowing hours. Since you said that you have also been keeping up to date shadowing a few dentists recently, I would just recommend that you shadow some specialized dentists, as well.

I think assisting has more weight than shadowing, you're just more exposed since you're part of the team. Not to say that shadowing isn't important, you have to start somewhere. I would definitely mention that you have both assisting and shadowing experience. But, I think that as an assistant you take more away from the experience and that you have a better grasp on how a practice works and that you know to a greater degree what it is you're getting into.

I shadowed, which turned into a job that lasted me four years throughout undergrad. I would bet that my experience in the field played a crucial part in my acceptance as it will with yours.

Does anybody know dental assistant job in st.louis,mo and dallas area?