Dental experience question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCbiograd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you all would be willing to give me your opinion on something. I recently applied to Dental school and was not accepted. I am planning to go to graduate school and obtain my masters in biomedical sciences, but there is also a full time position open at a local dentist's office. What do you think would be the better decision for increasing my chances of being acceptected to Dental School at a later date; obtaining a masters degree or gaining full time experience at a dentist's office?

GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT: 20AA/ 18 PAT / 21 TS
Research experience, Various Honors Societies, Shadowed 5 different Dentists

Members don't see this ad.

what are you lacking....experience or a solid GPA? if it's experience, then don't do the masters and work full time in the office. if it's your GPA, then do the masters and do some shadowing on the side.

jb!:)

With a 3.6 gpa i think your best bet is to go for the full time job. Practical experience in the field will help you when find an office where the dentist is willing to train you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you all would be willing to give me your opinion on something. I recently applied to Dental school and was not accepted. I am planning to go to graduate school and obtain my masters in biomedical sciences, but there is also a full time position open at a local dentist's office. What do you think would be the better decision for increasing my chances of being acceptected to Dental School at a later date; obtaining a masters degree or gaining full time experience at a dentist's office?

GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT: 20AA/ 18 PAT / 21 TS
Research experience, Various Honors Societies, Shadowed 5 different Dentists

If your stats are true, work full time. Make sure you apply the day they accept applications, and apply to a lot of schools. You should get in next year, you are a more than qualified applicant (at least your gpa and dat are, you PAT is average to low though).

I don't think experience in a dental office is always a shoe in. I know someone who will be applying for the 4rth time and that person has worked as a dental assistant for years.

I'm not saying that exposure/experience isn't helpful, but it's obviously not overly high on the list of what's required. (ie - as evidenced by the fact that the majority of those accepted into dental school were never dental assistants)

Take a good hard look at your application. For example, maybe your GPA is good but you don't have many upper division science classes. If you're applying to schools that look for heavy academic courseloads in undergrad, you could be at a disadvantage. That may not be your situation, but I'm just giving it as an example of how to scrutinze your application to see what you can do to make yourself as competitive as possible. Then make the necessary corrections.

Another thing, research the schools you're applying to. There are subtle nuances in the kinds of applicants different schools tend to favor (ie - some prefer research, heavy academics in undergrad, minorities, in state residency, ect) Being smart about your choices might increase your chances.

I felt that my interview went well, and I had strong letters of recommendation. But I did only apply to MUSC.

I felt that my interview went well, and I had strong letters of recommendation. But I did only apply to MUSC.

anytime you only apply to one school or two schools you are taking a huge risk. It's a beautiful thing to say you only applied to one school andd got in, but it's a shot in the foot when what happens to you...happens.

I'd take the full time dental position...but the question is, are you asking about taking a position you aren't sure if you could get. I've been amazed at how many people will ask about doing X, Y, or Z when both X and Y are not even close to a sure thing. Do you know the dentist and has he or she offered or made comments that make you think you can basically have the job if you want it? If not, you might want to apply to a graduate program just in case you don't get the job or, at least, apply to several dental job positions...don't rule out dental lab experience either.

Apply to at least 5 schools you would consider going to if you get in next cycle. Spend the year volunteering, research or getting dental experience. I think that dental experience (ie lab tech, dental related research or assisting) would be ideal. Good luck!

If you have really shadowed 5 dentists, then experience isn't your problem. I got into a few schools with just 35 hours of shadowing. I have very similar stats to you and I think the problem is that you just applied to one school. I think the continued education would actually help your application more than assisting, but I don't think it's necessary because you can probably already get in somewhere. If I were you I would just work to help defray the AADSAS costs by working at the dental office and just save instead of spend for more schooling.