Dental going into medicine

Started by deleted988773
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted988773

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Just going to keep it short and to the point. I'm finishing up my first year of dental school and I'm just not with it. I had my doubts even before matriculating but decided to give it a shot but I come to realize it's not for me. Don't get me wrong; the field itself is amazing and offers a great lifestyle but my personal interests just do not align. Having said that, does anyone have any advise in terms of how much harder it is to get into an MD program if you indicate that you dropped a previous program? I have a 3.5 GPA overall/science for undergrad which kinda worries me. Other than that I think I can do well in the MCAT and I have a lot of research/volunteering history.

I've done my research in the MD/DDS dual degree program but it is one of the most difficult specialties to get into and if I'm going to spend 10 more years in school, I'd rather explore all the other specialties that are within medicine.

Thanks in advance for any input.
 
If you leave voluntarily in good standing I don't think it would be a major issue. I could be wrong, but maybe someone with more experience can answer that.

You will have to round out your app with the other things you don't have such as shadowing/clinical experience (or the best you can do with it in light of the current situation).

It's hard to give you a more specific answer without your MCAT score. Your GPA is a little low for MD, but you would likely have a solid chance at DO if you do well on the MCAT.

Also you will have to be very convincing to ad coms that medicine is the path for you opposed to dentistry. The assumption will be that you are jumping ship from DDS for some reason like job market or what not. You will have to convince people that medicine is your true calling and you made a mistake with dentistry. Maybe medicine isn't your true calling and you just feel like doing it, but you'll have to convince adcoms of the former if you hope to get an acceptance.