Dental Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ateeb T Khan

Pre Dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing dental assisting @ a dental office, but also want to familiarize myself w/ whatever goes on in Dental Labs (to ease transition in dental school).

How should i introduce myself and ask to shadow/volunteer @ a dental lab... ????

Any tips from students who work/shadow/part-time @ dental labs would be appreciated and what should i expect from the experience?

Thankin in advance,
Ateeb

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently doing dental assisting @ a dental office, but also want to familiarize myself w/ whatever goes on in Dental Labs (to ease transition in dental school).

How should i introduce myself and ask to shadow/volunteer @ a dental lab... ????

Any tips from students who work/shadow/part-time @ dental labs would be appreciated and what should i expect from the experience?

Thankin in advance,
Ateeb

I'm doing an internship at a dental lab right now, but I found that through my pre-dental society. I would suggest asking your pre-dental society (if you have one) if they have any kind of connections to local labs...if not, maybe ask the dentist you're assisting which lab they use; tell him/her you are interested in seeing other aspects of dentistry in addition to assisting and maybe the dentist can give you a recommendation or something?

Every dentist will deal with a lab or technician unless they ship it to China. Ask your general dents and see if they can make a few calls for you

Members don't see this ad :)
My uncle (dentist i work with) recommended a dental lab near where i live.. I just dont have the guts to go and ask them ... like what should i say?
"im looking for an internship and interested in another aspect to dentistry cuz i wanna go to dental school" ...?

I dont think he knows the people there well enough, to send a recommendation or something but i'll ask him...

Clarify, what u actually do at the dental lab internship.. just watch.. or gradually they let u do basic hands on stuff.?

thanks,
Ateeb

I think they would be flattered. My father is a dental lab tech/owner and a friend of mine (who I never mentioned to my dad) asked him to shadow with him/ help him in the field to learn. My dad went above and beyond to show him what's up. Come on, you are going to be working with patients everyday who you have to interact with, it's time to go and ask. Worst is they will say no and you can thank them for their time

Thanks for the post supraman...

ur right , im too scared of them saying NO -
so what ill go to another dental lab (there are like 4 really close 2 my house)..

Thanks again,
Ateeb