Dental Parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... on some class profiles they list the number of "Dental Parents" for example:
https://www.dentistry.unc.edu/academic/dds/documents/classprofile2016.pdf

... Does having a parent that's a dentist benefit your admissions chances? Other than like ease of access to shadowing etc. Do adcoms care if your parents went to their school? I feel that it shouldn't make a difference, but if they've been giving alumni donations and crap like that do you think it makes it easier for people like that? That'd put people on unequal footing..

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, schools (privates) do care about alumni. I know for a fact that loma linda admits that they take it into consideration. But don't start feeling all hurt and angsty about this... Public schools evaluate in-states applicants more positively than privates do their alumni applicants, so just call it even and don't mind this stuff.

It definitely helps your chances of getting in. I know some people who say that the only reason why they got in was because their father or mother was an alumni (penn, pittsburg, VA, and a cali school)...they all mentioned having low gpa and would not have expected getting in had their parents not gone to that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, schools (privates) do care about alumni. I know for a fact that loma linda admits that they take it into consideration. But don't start feeling all hurt and angsty about this... Public schools evaluate in-states applicants more positively than privates do their alumni applicants, so just call it even and don't mind this stuff.

So if my parent was a Loma Linda alumni, I have a really good chance of being accepted there with let's say average stats and DAT?

I would think any sort of connections CAN help but I wouldn't totally depend on it. For example, I don't think an adcom would let a student with a 2.2GPA and a 15AA in just because he has these connections. Now... if a student had a low GPA but was determined to improve by kicking butt in a post bac or masters and did well on the DAT (21+), then I think this person has a great shot since the connections can vouch on their behalf.

I would think any sort of connections CAN help but I wouldn't totally depend on it. For example, I don't think an adcom would let a student with a 2.2GPA and a 15AA in just because he has these connections. Now... if a student had a low GPA but was determined to improve by kicking butt in a post bac or masters and did well on the DAT (21+), then I think this person has a great shot since the connections can vouch on their behalf.

3.3 sgpa and 20dat with good research, LOR, and hundreds of hours of volunteering plus shadowing plus their parent alumni, I think that would allow for a good shot towards acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user

Also, I really like your quote

Reactions: 1 users
So if my parent was a Loma Linda alumni, I have a really good chance of being accepted there with let's say average stats and DAT?
I don't know. I doubt that it weighs heavily, but we have no way of knowing. Just work with what you have. They will include a section for you in the secondary to say who you know in LLU.

Also, I really like your quote

I forgot to mention that alumni connections do not necessarily have to be from your parents. If anything, a LOR from your dentist or professor with connections can help even more.

and thanks bud!!!

I don't know. I doubt that it weighs heavily, but we have no way of knowing. Just work with what you have. They will include a section for you in the secondary to say who you know in LLU.

Trying to be as competitive as I possibly can be you know?

I've seen this happen. Someone who failed classes his senior year and below a 3.0 got in ucla because of his dad's connections with admissions. I've seen it happen this year with someone's parent who teaches at LLU. This student has a low GPA, smokes, drinks, does drugs, and has no religious affiliation. Also, she got her letter signed off her dad.

It sucks but sometimes it's who you know. I feel like someone better deserving could have taken over their place, but it is what it is.

I've seen this happen. Someone who failed classes his senior year and below a 3.0 got in ucla because of his dad's connections with admissions. I've seen it happen this year with someone's parent who teaches at LLU. This student has a low GPA, smokes, drinks, does drugs, and has no religious affiliation. Also, she got her letter signed off her dad.

It sucks but sometimes it's who you know. I feel like someone better deserving could have taken over their place, but it is what it is.

Life sucks sometimes.