Dental Personal Statement Format

Started by bkdeluca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bkdeluca

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody! Quick question...

Is there a certain format our personal statement needs to be? I know to keep it basic with font and color and all of that, but does it need to be single or double spaced? I would also like some clarification on the maxium length it could be and also the minimum it should be. I saw something on the ADEA website that said "one page essay"

Thanks in advance and I hope everybody is staying healthy and motivated! 🙂
 
Is there a certain format our personal statement needs to be?
No certain format
I know to keep it basic with font and color and all of that, but does it need to be single or double spaced?
Font/color/bold/italics/underline all don't matter because there aren't these options in the text box you paste it into. Same for single/double space - I'm pretty sure it just automatically makes it single spaced.
I would also like some clarification on the maxium length it could be and also the minimum it should be.
No min - just however much you need to efficiently and effectively convey why you want to pursue a career in dentistry. Max is 4500 characters, with spaces. Personally I had a standard 5 paragraph essay with an intro, 3 body reasons, and a conclusion.

Good luck!
 
I don't think the format matters as much as the cohesiveness of the ideas and how well you make your point on why you want to be a dentist. I shortly described 3-4 seemingly unrelated experiences that led me to dentistry and then connected them in a paragraph toward the end. I did get compliments from my interviewers about how different my personal statement was so if you have a unique idea on how to write yours, I would say go for it.
 
Don't worry about format at all. Once it's all done and you've pasted into AADSAS, the program will crunch it into a giant blob of a textbox and that's what I saw when I was reading applications. Italicize, bold, double spacing, colors all go away. That's why I encourage people to break up their ideas into shorter paragraphs (<7 lines long) so it's easier on the eyes to read.