Dental Personal Statement Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkdeluca

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Quick question...

Is there a certain format our personal statement needs to be? I know to keep it basic with font and color and all of that, but does it need to be single or double spaced? I would also like some clarification on the maxium length it could be and also the minimum it should be. I saw something on the ADEA website that said "one page essay"

Thanks in advance and I hope everybody is staying healthy and motivated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a certain format our personal statement needs to be?
No certain format
I know to keep it basic with font and color and all of that, but does it need to be single or double spaced?
Font/color/bold/italics/underline all don't matter because there aren't these options in the text box you paste it into. Same for single/double space - I'm pretty sure it just automatically makes it single spaced.
I would also like some clarification on the maxium length it could be and also the minimum it should be.
No min - just however much you need to efficiently and effectively convey why you want to pursue a career in dentistry. Max is 4500 characters, with spaces. Personally I had a standard 5 paragraph essay with an intro, 3 body reasons, and a conclusion.

Good luck!

I don't think the format matters as much as the cohesiveness of the ideas and how well you make your point on why you want to be a dentist. I shortly described 3-4 seemingly unrelated experiences that led me to dentistry and then connected them in a paragraph toward the end. I did get compliments from my interviewers about how different my personal statement was so if you have a unique idea on how to write yours, I would say go for it.

Don't worry about format at all. Once it's all done and you've pasted into AADSAS, the program will crunch it into a giant blob of a textbox and that's what I saw when I was reading applications. Italicize, bold, double spacing, colors all go away. That's why I encourage people to break up their ideas into shorter paragraphs (<7 lines long) so it's easier on the eyes to read.