Dental Post Bacc Programs? Help! :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medadvicewanted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into a postbac program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT/16 DAT? (Took the MCAT and DAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for a program before then) Any advice appreciated! I know my stats are not good, which is why I hope to get into a postbacc program

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're probably better off with a special masters program instead of a postbac if your GPA is that low and you already have a science degree. Search for SMPs on here, there's plenty of info on them

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into a postbac program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT/16 DAT? (Took the MCAT and DAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for a program before then) Any advice appreciated! I know my stats are not good, which is why I hope to get into a postbacc program

Thanks!

Look into Rosalind Franklin, Barry, Creighton, and BU. All accept DAT scores and I know Barry, Creighton, BU have pre dent paths. Im sure there are more but those are the only ones I've heard about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies! :) My degree is in psychology with a minor in biology (not sure if that matters) :confused: Do programs like that accept people with GPA's like mine? I have been looking at some and they say "3.0" is the min GPA ...and when I may be just barely under it with like a 2.96 I don't know if that means I wont be accepted. :confused::scared: Please advise! Thanks in advance

Thank you both for your replies! :) My degree is in psychology with a minor in biology (not sure if that matters) :confused: Do programs like that accept people with GPA's like mine? I have been looking at some and they say "3.0" is the min GPA ...and when I may be just barely under it with like a 2.96 I don't know if that means I wont be accepted. :confused::scared: Please advise! Thanks in advance

you might not be accepted if you dont meet the minimum requirement, even if your gpa is a 2.9. bc im sure they have alot of applicants whose gpas are actually a 3.0 and meet the minimum requirement, and obvi they cant take everyone.
wats your other option if you dont get accepted into a postbacc program?

You're most likely not going to get accepted unless you do a special masters program and do well on your DAT. Unless you're a URM or something like that. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You can do a post bac program but with a degree under your belt and a bio minor, it's going to take you 2-3 years to raise that GPA to 3.2 range so you have a fighting chance. Your best is to do a SMP and show that you can do graduate work. Then make a 21+ on the DAT. Then you'll have a good shot.

There's a "Under 3.0 Club" thread on here, it has a lot of good information.