Dental prerequisites -please help-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabyam0110

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a question regarding dental classes,
I did take Chem1 and 2. Organic 1 and 2. And calculs 1 and 2.biology 1. How many clases do I need to take to get dental program

Members don't see this ad.

Buy an online copy of the adea guide to dental schools, it will show you what each school requires as it’s prerequisites.

Generally, most schools require:
A bachelors and
8 units of general physics with lab
8 units of general chemistry with lab
8 units of organic chemistry with lab
8 units of general biology with lab
3-4 units of biochemistry
All with a C or higher

Many of these schools also specify you need:

8 units of upper division reading/writing
4 units of calculus/statistics
All with a C or higher

Then some schools require, in seeming order of importance:

4 units of microbiology and or
4 units of anatomy and or
4 units of physiology
All with a C or higher

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You may want to check the guide. Unless there have been some drastic changes in the last few years, very few schools “require “ a bs degree.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to check the guide. Unless there have been some drastic changes in the last few years, very few schools “require “ a bs degree.

quite the opposite. all schools pretty much require a degree to get in. (it needs to be completed before you start dental school(

You’re right. In the guide and according to the schools, usually a bachelors is not a “requirement,” at least on paper. Yet, as you probably know, most schools will only actually accept those with a bachelors, except if they demonstrate REMARKABLY high achievement after completing something like 90 semester/120 quarter credits (I forget the actual figures).