1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dental Related Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Derock, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Derock

Derock Member
    7+ Year Member

What's the best type of dental related experience for applying to dental school? Dental assistant, dental lab technician, etc.? Any ideas or comments would be helpful.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mwsung

mwsung Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think dental assistant would be a good idea
    because dental technician deals more with technology while assistant gets to do some REAL clinical work.

Also, other experiences such as volunteering help too.

Don't confine yourself to dental-related only
    Show adcom that you are "multi-disciplinary"

4. LibertyB

LibertyB BusyBee
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was a dental assistant and it gave me a wealth of knowledge about dentistry. Not just the numbers and names of the teeth, how to prep for a crown, etc. But the monetary aspect of the business. How to handly insurance, how to create continuing care, and how to interact with uncomfortable patients. I really have a great understanding about how a private practice runs, and that will REALLY help once I graduate.

My advice would be to suck it up and be an assistant.

5. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    totally agree with libertyb.

i really can not stress it enough on how important it would be for you to have some dental exp if you are goiung to apply. not only that the adcoms wanna see it but also you get to really learn a lot by just watching. nothing will ever beat the real experience guys. just knowing how to deal with different patients is worth a lot.