1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dental Research for a Premed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DMO, Dec 21, 2005.

1. DMO

DMO Diving Medical Officer
    10+ Year Member

It's my belief that research is research. The subject matter doesn't matter...as long as it is research. I'm thinking of doing dental research.

What do you guys think of this? Good? Bad?

-DMO

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Well, yes, research is good. But adcoms really look for commitment to medicine. I can't think that dental research would demonstrate that. If you're that interested in the research, perhaps you should look into dentistry. Otherwise I'm sure you can find some research opportunities that are more related to the medical field or that are straight basic science research. If you do decide to pursue the dental research, make sure you have a good answer as to why you chose to pursue that avenue instead of something in the basic sciences.

4. Virgil

Virgil Hi hi!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You might want to look around a little more before you commit yourself to this. It's nice to be able to relate your research to either your major field of study, interests or medicine...don't do research just to do research. You'll probably get a lot of strange looks when your research is brought up, and you probably want to avoid that.

5. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Adcoms look favorably on research that is more bench science oriented, something that is kinda unique. I've been told that a majority of the med applicants are doing clinical research, and it doesn't set you apart anymore. I work with primates (rhesus macaques), which seemed to really get people interested.

6. 1SwtWrld

1SwtWrld Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Depends on the area of dental research........some areas of dental hygenie contribute to systemic diseases in the body. This would be very relevant to medicine.

With that being said, I doubt the topic of research really matters if you have taken other steps to show your commitment to medicine (shadowing/volunteering etc.). So if you want to do it go for it.