Dental research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishoy20

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am interested in doing some research related to dentistry before applying to dentistry next year but i need some help because I don't know where to find such kind of research, If you have any good ideas about where to apply to dental related research pls let me know,,,,,,,,,thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you let us know where you live, some folks might be able to suggest some research opportunities. If location isn't a concern, you can't beat research at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.

Best of luck in your search.

Members don't see this ad :)
usually u can go to each dental schools webpage and see brief descriptions on what project each faculty if pursuing. might take some time to find the list but it should be there for ur reference. then if you find something that you are interested in just email that faculty and see if you can stop by and participate in research. idk how experienced you are but its undoubtably hard to start your own project right away as an undergrad....most likely you will have to start working with a post doc or grads to pave ur way up

On the topic of research...

I have the opportunity to participate in some genetic research at my U. I am interested in doing this because I love the subject and really enjoyed biochem & genetics.

But, the reality is my goal is to be a dentist - what I'm getting at is i'm applying next summer and have to get "choosey" with my time. I've been a dental assistant volunteer for some time & will have around 100hrs of shadowing + volunteering by the time I apply. Would it be better to research next semester or get more shadowing & community service.

Thanks for your advice.

PS I know that gpa and dat are most important - i've scheduled time for those and am just looking on how to best use my other time. For those of you that interviewed in the past- do you feel that research played a role in your acceptance? and is 6 months even worth it?

ive worked at an oncology lab for two years and to be honest with you i think that experience/publications/letter or rec have gotten me most of the interviews I got. So, if you like the research project, go ahead and do it. (my community service tract or my GPA and DAT isnt really stellar,) i did research cuz i really liked it and its one of those things where i will hold on to throughout dental school.

If you let us know where you live, some folks might be able to suggest some research opportunities. If location isn't a concern, you can't beat research at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.

Best of luck in your search.

I live in jersey city

On the topic of research...

I have the opportunity to participate in some genetic research at my U. I am interested in doing this because I love the subject and really enjoyed biochem & genetics.

But, the reality is my goal is to be a dentist - what I'm getting at is i'm applying next summer and have to get "choosey" with my time. I've been a dental assistant volunteer for some time & will have around 100hrs of shadowing + volunteering by the time I apply. Would it be better to research next semester or get more shadowing & community service.

Thanks for your advice.

PS I know that gpa and dat are most important - i've scheduled time for those and am just looking on how to best use my other time. For those of you that interviewed in the past- do you feel that research played a role in your acceptance? and is 6 months even worth it?

what is the difference between shadowing and volunteer since you did both lol

1.View ALL the U of Michigan Dental School videos posted on YouTube. USC Dent has some good info, too.
2. Shadow a dentist & see if you can hang out at the inner city free dental clinic.
I've got a lot of info posted in my blog.

When I volunteer I help organize patient flow and assist the dentist with 4 handed dentistry. When I shadow I go to privite practices, observe and just concentrate on what the dentist does & check out how a real-forprofit practice runs.

I was just wondering if at this point it would be better to get more shadowing hours or replace some of that time with researching at my U.

what is the difference between shadowing and volunteer since you did both lol

Bevo - I read one of your blogs.. I dont know if you're for real but I hope dental school is better than you described. I'm suprized you've found corperate america favorable to dentistry... /shrug.