Dental school chances 2016-17 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeanH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! So I graduated from ucla back in 2015 but with a really low GPA. My overall GPA was at a 3.2 and my science GPA was around 2.5 (I know). Since last fall, I've been retaking/finishing up prereqs and recommending courses (7 classes so far) and currently have a 3.6 science GPA post-graduation. Here are the rest of my stats:

-AA and TS DAT: 19, PAT: 18, Reading Comp: 22
- 200+ hours shadowing general dentist, 100+ hours shadowing an orthodontist
- 100+ volunteering hours
- Will be starting research in the next few weeks related to nervous systems
-private tutor
Schools I'm applying to:
Western
Midwestern (Downer's Grove and Phoenix)
Tuft's U
UCLA
USC
UOP
Nova Southeastern
Howard
Loma Linda

I'm planning on taking 6 more classes so hopefully my GPA increases but with all said, what do you all think my chances are of getting into school??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! So I graduated from ucla back in 2015 but with a really low GPA. My overall GPA was at a 3.2 and my science GPA was around 2.5 (I know). Since last fall, I've been retaking/finishing up prereqs and recommending courses (7 classes so far) and currently have a 3.6 science GPA post-graduation. Here are the rest of my stats:

-AA and TS DAT: 19, PAT: 18, Reading Comp: 22
- 200+ hours shadowing general dentist, 100+ hours shadowing an orthodontist
- 100+ volunteering hours
- Will be starting research in the next few weeks related to nervous systems
-private tutor
Schools I'm applying to:
Western
Midwestern (Downer's Grove and Phoenix)
Tuft's U
UCLA
USC
UOP
Nova Southeastern
Howard
Loma Linda

I'm planning on taking 6 more classes so hopefully my GPA increases but with all said, what do you all think my chances are of getting into school??
Hey Sean, how were you able to take classes after graduation? What was your major? I'm a Psychology major in UCLA and plan to take pre-dental prereqs (LS 3, LS 4, Physics 6A - 6C, Biochem 153A, Anatomy, etc.) after I graduate. I'm currently in my senior year. I don't think I'll be able to finish all the prereqs this year. Should I take an extra year? or do a post bacc program?