Dental School Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrivatePractice5

Reaction score
Does anyone currently commute to dental school everyday more than an hour one way whether it be by train, bus or car? If so, how long and what has your experience been like? Thinking about doing this for a dental school in a state that is boarding mine. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't recommend this. Between classes and labs, you're likely going to be in class 8-5ish every day, at least during your first two years. This doesn't include studying. Once you factor in daily life essentials (sleeping, showering, eating, grocery shopping), free time can be a rare commodity. Why spend 2 hours each day (10 hours each week, 500 hours each year) of that time driving? If your commute is by train, I think it's a little more justifiable, since you can study or relax on the train, but I'd generally advise against long commutes unless you have a really strong reason for it. Not to mention, I personally think being closer to campus helps you feel more "a part" of the class and makes it easier to be involved in social things (if that's something you're interested in.)

Reactions: 4 users
You should only do it during your 4th year when you don't have classes anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How much will you be able to save for commuting 1hr each way everyday? Will you also get "free" meals for living at home with your parents? If yes, then you save at least 1 hour for not having to cook your own food. If you can save between $1000-1500 every month for not having to rent an apartment, then I think you should commute. It's expensive living on your own.....you have to pay for everything: food, electricity, toilet papers, laundry etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How much will you be able to save for commuting 1hr each way everyday? Will you also get "free" meals for living at home with your parents? If yes, then you save at least 1 hour for not having to cook your own food. If you can save between $1000-1500 every month for not having to rent an apartment, then I think you should commute. It's expensive living on your own.....you have to pay for everything: food, electricity, toilet papers, laundry etc.

I'd be moving out and leaving with my girlfriend and we have a daughter. I have one interview on November 25th and I know I will hear back the week after whether I got in or not. This school is in the state boarding mine and I can't afford to just put the deposit down and wait for my state schools to get back to me. I haven't heard anything from my two state schools yet. But I have an interview on January 17th for another school in the same state as the one on the 25th of November.

It's doable, I know probably 30 people in my class who commute somewhere around 40ish minutes, they either stay a little later in one of the libraries to beat heavy traffic home, or make use of the class lecture software and play the lectures while on their commute.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone currently commute to dental school everyday more than an hour one way whether it be by train, bus or car? If so, how long and what has your experience been like? Thinking about doing this for a dental school in a state that is boarding mine. Thank you.

All the people I know who tried commuting over 60+ minutes ended up having to find a closer apartment in the middle of the year. They STRUGGLED, some had mental breakdowns. If money is the concern, split a room in a cheap flat. Trust me, it is SO worth living close. You cannot imagine the stress of dental school, and needing to drive 60 minutes in traffic before and after school is horrifying. I know one woman in our class who actually did it, but she had a child and needed her parents to babysit - I think she teetered on the edge of failure a couple times, obviously didn't have high marks, and wasn't involved in any school events. Don't do it unless you absolutely need to.

All the people I know who tried commuting over 60+ minutes ended up having to find a closer apartment in the middle of the year. They STRUGGLED, some had mental breakdowns. If money is the concern, split a room in a cheap flat. Trust me, it is SO worth living close. You cannot imagine the stress of dental school, and needing to drive 60 minutes in traffic before and after school is horrifying. I know one woman in our class who actually did it, but she had a child and needed her parents to babysit - I think she teetered on the edge of failure a couple times, obviously didn't have high marks, and wasn't involved in any school events. Don't do it unless you absolutely need to.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I think I'll wait it out for my states schools as long as I can.

I commute 1hr+ (each way) every day. There are a few others in my class that have similar commute times. We are all doing fine so far! Yes, there are some days when I hate it, but it's not bad overall. I take the bus and take advantage of the hour I have to study in the morning and evening. The buses are nice and have wifi, but I do have to work around the bus schedule. I don't feel like I'm missing out on things on campus because I can always come early or stay late. I sometimes drive to campus on the weekends to practice in pre-clinic, study in gross anatomy lab, or attend other events. I would not recommend driving for an hour each way every day though; that sounds stressful! For me, it is worth it to commute. I live with my parents so I don't have to pay rent, go grocery shopping, etc. Many people tried to discourage me from living far from campus, especially during my first year, but I am very happy with my decision to commute!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I commute 1hr+ every day. There are a few others in my class that have similar commute times. We are all doing fine so far! Yes, there are some days when I hate it, but it's not bad overall. I take the bus and take advantage of the hour I have to study in the morning and evening. The buses are nice and have wifi, but I do have to work around the bus schedule. I don't feel like I'm missing out on things on campus because I can always come early or stay late. I sometimes drive to campus on the weekends to practice in pre-clinic, study in gross anatomy lab, or attend other events. I would not recommend driving for an hour each way every day though; that sounds stressful! For me, it is worth it to commute. I live with my parents so I don't have to pay rent, go grocery shopping, etc. Many people tried to discourage me from living far from campus, especially during my first year, but I am very happy with my decision to commute!
This is a very wise decision. That's easily $100k in saving for the 4 years of dental school. After graduation, you will pay back $1k less every month in student loans than your classmates, who live on campus.

Last edited:
I commute 1hr+ every day. There are a few others in my class that have similar commute times. We are all doing fine so far! Yes, there are some days when I hate it, but it's not bad overall. I take the bus and take advantage of the hour I have to study in the morning and evening. The buses are nice and have wifi, but I do have to work around the bus schedule. I don't feel like I'm missing out on things on campus because I can always come early or stay late. I sometimes drive to campus on the weekends to practice in pre-clinic, study in gross anatomy lab, or attend other events. I would not recommend driving for an hour each way every day though; that sounds stressful! For me, it is worth it to commute. I live with my parents so I don't have to pay rent, go grocery shopping, etc. Many people tried to discourage me from living far from campus, especially during my first year, but I am very happy with my decision to commute!

I'd be taking the train everyday. So I could take advantage and studying during the ride. Thanks for your input!

Wife and I bought a house that's about 35-45 min commute in the morning depending on the time, hour in the evening. I got to school at least an hour and half every day before class and did fine in school, D1 most importantly. My friend studied on the bus on her commute.

Wife and I bought a house that's about 35-45 min commute in the morning depending on the time, hour in the evening. I got to school at least an hour and half every day before class and did fine in school, D1 most importantly. My friend studied on the bus on her commute.

Thank you for your insight! Makes me feel better about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently a first year ortho resident that commutes 14 miles one way (30 min) and it’s fine. But ortho residency is totally different from dental school

I just started dental school this year, I’ve been commuting 80 mins one way to NYC from NJ. I live home with my husband, daughter and in laws. I get a lot of help, I don’t cook, or grocery shop. Still have a life and get to spend time with my family. My husband supports us financially so I’m not paying anything for rent or food. It’s working fine for me, I hated it the first month but now I’m used to it. It’s been 6 months since I’ve been commuting, we started in July. I think it depends on your situation, if I was single without a child I would have moved closer but it’s not realistic for my situation now.

If I am investing 400k towards my education, I would live, eat, and study inside the school.

If I am investing 400k towards my education, I would live, eat, and study inside the school.
Everyone’s situation is different. As mentioned above, commuting is necessary for certain people. I can relate to the above poster because I had to balance dental school with family. But it really did make things more rough, especially during exam blocks.

I currently commute a little over an hour each way. I am a D1. I commuted a similar distance previously for my job and during a masters program. I don’t love it, but it’s what made sense for my husband and I. We own a home near his (hopefully permanent) job and selling a house for a three year commitment (my D4 year is a different location) just didn’t make financial sense. My family is nearby and helps when I need. I listen to YouTube videos or books on the commute (ours are electronic and I can play the books while driving). I dislike it when I need a lot of lab time because labs are only available in the evening and class starts at 8:00am, so I lose hours waiting for lab to open. But it’s possible if that’s what makes sense for you. There are 5 of us who do a similar commute. Academically, I don’t think it’s affected us much. We perform reasonably well and any challenges are not due to commute. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently live with my girlfriend, so I'm going to end up commuting an hour by car to dental school. My friend lives nearby and offered for me to crash some nights, so I'll see how much school takes out of me. I anticipate I'll be forced to live with my friend by the middle of the year.

I currently live with my girlfriend, so I'm going to end up commuting an hour by car to dental school. My friend lives nearby and offered for me to crash some nights, so I'll see how much school takes out of me. I anticipate I'll be forced to live with my friend by the middle of the year.

Good luck to you sir. I may have to do the same. Still waiting to hear back from my home town school I interviewed at back in mid February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@n02688402.918808/
It really depends on how you use your time and how much your gf is going to help you.

If she is willing to cook and do the groceries - and you are willing to listen to lectures and make your own audio content to study while driving, it’s very doable.

It would be a heavier burden on your gf to ask her to do those things - but it depends on what stage your relationship is in.

The goal is to maximize the dead periods. If you’re driving - you might as well be learning. If you’re not home for long - you should try to be spending quality time together and unwinding. If you can be efficient, you will be more productive and be able to live with the woman you love. Sometimes that makes everything worth it. Just something to think about.

@n02688402.918808/
It really depends on how you use your time and how much your gf is going to help you.

If she is willing to cook and do the groceries - and you are willing to listen to lectures and make your own audio content to study while driving, it’s very doable.

It would be a heavier burden on your gf to ask her to do those things - but it depends on what stage your relationship is in.

The goal is to maximize the dead periods. If you’re driving - you might as well be learning. If you’re not home for long - you should try to be spending quality time together and unwinding. If you can be efficient, you will be more productive and be able to live with the woman you love. Sometimes that makes everything worth it. Just something to think about.
She's willing to help me, and my parents are willing to give me some support. I think listening to lectures to and from class would be a good idea and I've thought about it, but I've never recorded lectures and am not sure what the best method is.

I commute about an hour each way. Those are the best two hours of my day. Just listening to the radio, podcast or audiobook and not feeling guilty for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I commute about an hour each way. Those are the best two hours of my day. Just listening to the radio, podcast or audiobook and not feeling guilty for it.
Before the coronavirus- I communted an hour and ten minutes. I'm a D2, almost a third year and it has worked fine for me. It sounds worse than it is.

i had a classmate who commuted 1.5 hrs (90 miles) each way every day for the 4 years of dental school. she did great in her studies. before big exams she would get a hotel room near the school. It can be done. Utilize your time wisely. Listen to pod cast, listen to the lectures during your commute.

would I recommend doing this. No.