Dental School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushpike19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've heard a few schools (Uconn, Harvard, McGill) have the exact same curriculum for the dental and med students for the first two years... Is this true? If so, does anyone specifically know all the schools that do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I've heard a few schools (Uconn, Harvard, McGill) have the exact same curriculum for the dental and med students for the first two years... Is this true? If so, does anyone specifically know all the schools that do this?
I don't think any schools have the exact same curriculum for dental and med students for first two years, as dental students will be involved in sim labs and clinical training that med school students aren't involved in and med students will be taking some classes that dental school students don't need to take. But there are some schools where you will be taking some basic science courses with med school students as you mentioned Harvard McGill and uconn. I believe Columbia also has this.

I'm pretty sure Nova has at least a few classes with the med students (Anatomy and histology?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard and Columbia both do (referring to the didactic curriculum). I think UConn did but their curriculum style was also changed a bit recently, maybe @Scumbag_Steve can weigh in.

In my experience, unless you're interested in OMFS, taking a med school curriculum is not as appealing as it sounds as a pre-dent.
Do you also take the same exams as the med students?

First semester yes. Second semester only for Psych Med. For our primary science classes second semester onward the exams differ (medical students take something that's more similar in style to their boards, we take exams that basically test how well you memorized specific facts off slides).
Does memorizing that stuff help dents for the boards lol?

so they don't give out percentages anymore for boards? how are they gonna rank for specialization if both school and board are P/F? are schools gonna rely a lot on recommendations?
maybe memorizing all that stuff will be way easier once you do it again for the boards. there's gotta be a reason why columbia student have a very average for the first board at least

so they don't give out percentages anymore for boards? how are they gonna rank for specialization if both school and board are P/F? are schools gonna rely a lot on recommendations?
maybe memorizing all that stuff will be way easier once you do it again for the boards. there's gotta be a reason why columbia student have a very average for the first board at least
iirc the ADAT is being implemented along with some schools using H/P/F and some form of an internal ranking system unless I've misinterpreted previous posts

From an educational standpoint, repeated exposure will help you retain information. You'll memorize a lot in dental school the first go around, but the important materials show up again in later classes for repeated reinforcement.

Word on the street is board exams are changing from a two part deal to a cumulative exam for the incoming class of 2021, so a lot of how you guys will be taught may change.
wait so instead of 2 exams? only 1 cumulative exam? that sucks! like it's the dumbest thing to want to test a dentist that's giving a test of competence in dentistry (NBDE II) to make sure he knows the steps and all enzymes of glycolysis

At Harvard, you are basically med students for the first 2 years. We did all the basic science courses with med students, take the same exams, do rectal exam etc. there are an afternoon or two you study head and neck anatomy/ path at the dental school while the med students take their ethic courses. med school science course are much more advanced than the science stuffs they test you on NBDE. I think it will help you to do well on oral surgery entrance exam
What year are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated a few years ago, but the curriculum has been like that for 30ish years, I don't think they changed it that much
What do they look for in applicants? I'm applying there, and feel like I am a pretty unique applicant (numbers/stats aside).

I graduated a few years ago, but the curriculum has been like that for 30ish years, I don't think they changed it that much
wuold you say it's harder than the traditional dental curriculum for D1/D2?

it is definitely harder, look around and you see how many omfs wannabes struggle with USMLE or NBME. the medical school expected you to think and master basic sciences at that level. I like the medschool though
that's awesome! are you omfs route?

the med students are really brilliant though. there was a time I want to switch to medicine, no, no interest in omfs
that's awesome! I would definitely like to get into a school that has strong emphasis on sciences the first two years. i really liked omfs when i shadowed but ill see for sure (if i get into dental school lol)

the med students are really brilliant though. there was a time I want to switch to medicine, no, no interest in omfs
Do you enjoy the small class size, along with pass/fail? It seems like it would lead to more collaboration.

Heard they are moving from 2 to one and a half like all the rest of the med based schools.

Heard they are moving from 2 to one and a half like all the rest of the med based schools.
they may allow you to shadow at the dental school. However, I don't think the medical school will allow you to only finish one semester of 2nd year and call it done.

they may allow you to shadow at the dental school. However, I don't think the medical school will allow you to only finish one semester of 2nd year and call it done.

Let me find the thread where one of the students commented about this I might be wrong though. It might've been columbia not Harvard.

ive been out of school for a few years so iam not 100% accurate about the curriculum. the current students might know more. However, the philosophy has been the same.. The second semester of second year is pathophy, which is important. I don't think the med school will allow anyone to skip it.
so the reason why people do well on NBDE at harvard is because you take med school classes? haha

they still rank you, however, they only tell who is their number #1 and #2...it is still competitive though cuz everyone except some older students want to specialize. you have to volunteer a lot and I mean a lot lot
What do you mean by lots of volunteering?

so the reason why people do well on NBDE at harvard is because you take med school classes? haha

NBDE tests lots of random facts you basically can google the answer. Med school expects you to understand stuffs not just rote memorization. omfs wannabes on the other hand have to take nbme which is a mini version of the USMLE. Many of them did not do well because they were never taught to think that way

Reactions: 1 user
NBDE tests lots of random facts you basically can google the answer. Med school expects you to understand stuffs not just rote memorization. omfs wannabes on the other hand have to take nbme which is a mini version of the USMLE. Many of them did not do well because they were never taught to think that way
I thought omfs actually take the usmle. so the test for them is the nbme?
That's very interesting! i'm so excited

I thought omfs actually take the usmle. so the test for them is the nbme?
That's very interesting! i'm so excited

They take the nmbe cbse which is a condensed version of step 1. Med school based schools like columbia Harvard stony brook uconn etc etc help expose you to the material. You still have to work your ass off though.

Reactions: 1 users
They take the nmbe cbse which is a condensed version of step 1. Med school based schools like columbia Harvard stony brook uconn etc etc help expose you to the material. You still have to work your ass off though.
Probably why they have high OMFS match rates