Dental school curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ju still out of curiousity, I was wondering do dental students have to do hospital rotations in various hospital settings (internal med, surgery, etc) like medical students do?

Also, the first two years of of dental school when students are taking their medical sciences courses, are those always taken at a med school alongside medical students or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Ju still out of curiousity, I was wondering do dental students have to do hospital rotations in various hospital settings (internal med, surgery, etc) like medical students do?

Nope!

Also, the first two years of of dental school when students are taking their medical sciences courses, are those always taken at a med school alongside medical students or no?

Depends on the schools. Some schools do have you take basic sciences with med students, others do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't dentists have todo various rotations?

You do rotate in dental school through various dental clinics (Endo, Prosth, Dental Emergency, etc.). Just not through hospital departments.

Reactions: 5 users
We rotate through the OMFS department at the hospital (in clinic doing extractions, pre-prosthetic surgery, incision and drainage, removing archbars after jaw surgeries, biopsies, etc) and assisting OMFS residents in the OR.

We also rotate through the hospital-based GPR program seeing HIV/AIDS patients.

We also rotate through a children's hospital to treat medically compromised children and assist peds residents in the OR for general sedation cases. I'm also in a trauma course where we take call at the children's hospital for trauma cases. I recently did endo on a kid that had 3 anterior teeth avulsed and reimplanted after an ATV accident.

We also rotate through a rural hospital doing extractions and pre-prosthetic surgeries for very medically compromised patients (as in "this guy was just diagnosed with pharyngeal cancer and is starting radiation next week and needs his teeth out to prevent osteoradionecrosis in the future" or "this guy is having a heart transplant next week and he needs his questionable teeth out before he's put on immunosuppressants).

Not all schools are affiliated with hospitals though.

Reactions: 2 users
Dental school curriculum varies by school and often changes.
First and second year classes include:
Anatomy
physiology
microbiology
pharmacology etc.