Dental School - Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentofdeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been under a lot of pressure for having few health issues...does Dental school offer health insurence for students? Does it help? And if a person is married or have kids...does the insurance include them?

If you don't have insurance how do you get it then? Do you have to purchase it separately?

Members don't see this ad.

It will be offered to you by the school. I suggest you get it because private insurance is much more expensive. With a family, you will have to pay double for dependent coverage. It is still ALOT cheaper than private insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you again so much for getting back to me. This helps

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school health insurance is required. We either need private insurance or we have to buy it from the school. We also have to buy needle stick insurance, from the school, every year.

Reactions: 2 users
Private insurance through the marketplace will probably be cheaper, especially for a family...unless somehow you are high enough income not to qualified for the tax credits or Medicaid

It's very important to have or enroll in a health insurance plan. I think the government provides good health insurance at a very affordable cost. In addition, to my understanding of other insurance, the ADA really want the dental students to succeed and not to have to worry about setbacks in life. I think all dental schools in the U.S. offer dental students insurance at no cost in case students god forbid to have any setbacks in their dental career. it's called Great-West provided under the ADA at no charge! Please don't quote me for that since I am not sure! You would have to register I believe for free. Not sure how it works, but I think this protects the U.S. dental students/Dentists in case if god-forbid something bad happens. Keep up the hard work, stay healthy, aim for the best, and always think about success!

It's very important to have or enroll in a health insurance plan. I think the government provides good health insurance at a very affordable cost. In addition, to my understanding of other insurance, the ADA really want the dental students to succeed and not to have to worry about setbacks in life. I think all dental schools in the U.S. offer dental students insurance at no cost in case students god forbid to have any setbacks in their dental career. it's called Great-West provided under the ADA at no charge! Please don't quote me for that since I am not sure! You would have to register I believe for free. Not sure how it works, but I think this protects the U.S. dental students/Dentists in case if god-forbid something bad happens. Keep up the hard work, stay healthy, aim for the best, and always think about success!
Life and disability insurances are not the same as health insurance

At my school health insurance is required. We either need private insurance or we have to buy it from the school. We also have to buy needle stick insurance, from the school, every year.

Wow. How things have changed. I never had any health insurance while in dental or residency. Never a requirement. Just rolled the dice since I was young and apparently indestructible back then.

Needlestick insurance? Crazy.

• Haha
Wow. How things have changed. I never had any health insurance while in dental or residency. Never a requirement. Just rolled the dice since I was young and apparently indestructible back then.

Needlestick insurance? Crazy.
Yep $74 a year. It pays for the first $1000 in blood work to test for Hep B and HIV in case of an accidental stick during clinic.