Dental School Loan Question/Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cranberrymandarin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding the loan packages for each dental school, would you say the calculated expenses would allow the student to live comfortably, or do we have to be frugal? My school's COA designates about 15k for room/board. Considering rent would be about 1k, if this is not enough, will the student be able to borrow more?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding the loan packages for each dental school, would you say the calculated expenses would allow the student to live comfortably, or do we have to be frugal? My school's COA designates about 15k for room/board. Considering rent would be about 1k, if this is not enough, will the student be able to borrow more?
Usually you have to be pretty frugal. The school might be able to get you slightly more by having you fill out forms on how much your rent/other bills they deem as “necessary living expenses,” but they are bound by federal guidelines that won’t let them allow you to borrow much more than what they have listed as tuition + fees and living expenses. Usually even if you get scholarships, they deduct that from the total amount allowed and won’t let you get additional funds on top of that. If it is an outside scholarship, you are required to report that and it’s the same situation.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the cost of living in the area. I wish somebody would have told me to consider that when choosing a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been able to live comfortably with the full amount of loans given for room/board. Last semester I was able to splurge and take a 4-day trip to Seattle just because. It all comes down to good budgeting. Asking to pay 6 months of rent at a time is a good idea. That way the money is out of your pocket before you even know it's there and some places will give you a discount if you do it this way. But its doable to live comfortably.

I was thinking of paying 6 months up front too...I agree its just done and don't have to think about that part. I would think that landlord would like it too.

I was thinking of paying 6 months up front too...I agree its just done and don't have to think about that part. I would think that landlord would like it too.
Depending on the state, there are laws regarding that sort of thing. Some landlords won't allow it because it would require opening some sort of escrow account, with any and all interest earned on prepaid rent made payable to the tenant. It's just more trouble than it's worth sometimes. It happened to me a while back.

Interesting. Good to know, I hadn't thought of those issues but of course that makes sense.