Dental School or MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im a newbie here. Currently, im at a cross roads between deciding which career path to take. I know many of you will say dental school is a lot of hard work, Im not afraid of hard work and dedication if i know the direction is right one for me. That being said, Id like to decide between dental schools or MBA programs.

Dentistry has been a big part of all my life, as in my very first job, assisting, managing, leading so forth. I enjoy it and I have a great relationship with the dentists whom ive worked with. They have taught me so much about dentistry and i understand that it no way compares to actually being in dental school, but since it will be so familiar would that be of any benefit starting school? Also, Im currently married, older than a typical average student and would like to start a family very soon. Is it possible to be in dental school and having time for family?

I have a degree in business and thats why MBA is the other option as I do like to take care of the business side of things (its a love and hate thing) but im good at it. With getting the MBA i wont be staying in dental, most likely will venture out to a different arena and aim for a six figure salary. So, the previous schooling has been in business but work experience in dentistry.

Some of the dentists i spoke to regarding this talked me out of dentistry, their reasoning being that its better to be a veterinarian than a dentist. So i take it competition is super fierce. The time for schooling doesnt intimidate me as long as i know its the right choice for me in the end, which i know only i can know, but outside support does help tremendously.

Anywho, id love some inputs and suggestions. Did you ever come across these decisions and why did you choose what you do now? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you don't need an MBA to do the business side of dentistry unless you want to be higher up in a corp office

their reasoning being that its better to be a veterinarian than a dentist
That advice from dentists seems strange to me, because to me, the only career worse off than dentistry as far as debt goes is being a veterinarian if we're talking about medicine. Dentistry has a load of problems facing it, but it's still a great profession, as long as you can keep your debt at a manageable level and don't go to an expensive school

There are lots of variables here such as how old you are, does your spouse work, if you have taken the pre-reqs, do you have shadowing or volunteering etc.
If you have all of those and can make a solid application in the next year by refining and adding things your application is lacking, I would recommend applying if and only if you have a competitive application to get into a reasonably priced school, such as your state school, assuming your state has a school. If you only get into private schools that will cost you over $450k, I think going to dental school would be a bad decision, especially if you're in your late 20s or older.

However, getting your MBA can be a pretty bad decision as well unless you get into a top school, your company is funding it, or you have a guaranteed pay raise at potential jobs you would then qualify for that offsets the cost of the MBA, because they aren't cheap either.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need an MBA to do the business side of dentistry unless you want to be higher up in a corp office
Yes, I know. The MBA would be do broaden the horizon and seek a position thats personally and financially fulfilling, not staying in dental.

get your MBA, stay in dental field in the corporate chain, your experience will serve you well. Getting into dental school from scratch can take at least 2-3 years

I've watched enough shark tank to know that MBA does not equal a good business man/women. I follow the gospel of Mark of cuba and he says just Harvard business school brainwashes people.

All kidding aside, there's a big business aspect of dentistry that isn't taught in schools. If you are interested in getting a MBA, go right for it. There are some programs that offer dds/dmd and a MBA. It's more money but it kinda fulfills both your wants. If dentistry is what interests you, then go for dentistry and get a really good mentor during/right out of school to teach you the business ways.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some dental programs that offer dual degree MBA and Dentistry.

Reactions: 3 users
Its one or the other guys. If i go to dental school, i wouldnt go for the mba. If i go for the mba, i wouldnt go to dental school.

Its one or the other guys. If i go to dental school, i wouldnt go for the mba. If i go for the mba, i wouldnt go to dental school.

What's your vision for your ideal life? What do you enjoy doing? What appeals to you about business and what appeals to you about dentistry?

I've watched enough shark tank to know that MBA does not equal a good business man/women. I follow the gospel of Mark of cuba and he says just Harvard business school brainwashes people.

All kidding aside, there's a big business aspect of dentistry that isn't taught in schools. If you are interested in getting a MBA, go right for it. There are some programs that offer dds/dmd and a MBA. It's more money but it kinda fulfills both your wants. If dentistry is what interests you, then go for dentistry and get a really good mentor during/right out of school to teach you the business ways.

I read this as Shark Tank was on! Haha. You’re right though.

I majored in business TO go to dental school haha. You have the potential to be involved in a LOT of business with dentistry owning your practice. You can get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: 1 user