dental school pre-reqs and application procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend who is a sophomore in college is interested in going to Dental school and asked me for help (I'm in med. school). I know the process must be similar, but I was hoping if anyone could direct me towards the relevant links/resources so I can have a better understanding what the application process is like, pre-reqs, etc.

I guess this can be made into a sticky or a FAQ for all others interested in Pre-Dental to see as well.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Prerequisites vary slightly from school-to-school. For the most part, minimum requirements are:

*8 semester hours biology with laboratory (some schools may specifically require microbiology, physiology, anatomy . . .)
*8 semester hours general or inorganic chemistry with laboratory
*8 semester hours organic chemistry with laboratory
*8 semester hours physics with laboratory (not necessarily calculus-based)
*6 semester hour english composition and/or literature

In addition to the above-mentioned requirements, some schools are specifically requesting 1 term or 3 semester hours of biochemistry as well as psychology, sociology, or ethics.

The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) offers several links to dental schools as well as information about the national application service (AADSAS).

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Pages/PDS.aspx

For the potential candidate, it is best to confirm course requirements and additional information on "what will make me a more competitive candiate to your program" from the schools they are most interested in pursuing. "Reach out to the source", meaning the specific dental school, rather than listen to hearsay.

Hope that helps!

My friend who is a sophomore in college is interested in going to Dental school and asked me for help (I'm in med. school). I know the process must be similar, but I was hoping if anyone could direct me towards the relevant links/resources so I can have a better understanding what the application process is like, pre-reqs, etc.

I guess this can be made into a sticky or a FAQ for all others interested in Pre-Dental to see as well.

Thanks in advance
its pretty much the same...

same exact pre-reqs, we use https://portal.aadsasweb.org/ website to apply (I think u guys use AAMC?)... we have to get LORs just like you guys, we have to have shadowing done and its encouraged to get a LOR from the dentist we shadow.

Only 1 main difference is the admission test... DAT vs MCAT....other than that, everything else is identical